3DCoat Forums

a Head WIP

akira

• Advanced Member

Hey what's up folks :)

Finally I've got some time to make my own stuff, have been busy working on my regular job for weeks. whew!

Here it is, a girl's head, still a long way to go to complete her, but I'm posting some pictures anyway since this is a WIP thread.

modeling/rendering in XSI.

texturing in 3D Coat.

akira.

post-751-1226865053_thumb.jpg

post-751-1226865073_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Looks great! I think she could use a little spec though. The skin looks a bit like concrete.

Yeah you're right, the specular highlight of her skin is too weak, while the area lighting on her left face is too strong too.

I'm working on it. :)

akira.

• Advanced Member
Nice model akira! you can play with the fast skin shader in Xsi,

btw i love the hair there is any tutorial to get a nice hair like yours character :)

Thanks for the kind words :D

Yeah sss fast skin is used on her already, but seems i still need to adjust many of those parameters (and lighting as well) :P

About the hair I just followed what user manual said and modified guide hairs one by one, it took me four days to get proper result LOL, and there are 40k hairs in the picture above.

I'll post more screenshots when I get back home.

akira.

About the hair I just followed what user manual said and modified guide hairs one by one, it took me four days to get proper result LOL, and there are 40k hairs in the picture above.

Wow. You should try LW FiberFX some time, you can just brush the hair into the style you want. Something about the skin bump still feels too hard to me. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the SSS, or maybe the bump is too intense. I'm leaning towards SSS though, some real people have very bumpy skin and it still looks real.

• Advanced Member
I like this head, but maybe skin is too lustre.

Thanks for the comment, indeed her skin looks too wet and bumpy, I'm still tuning, maybe I need to separate each pass to get better control of the result. :)

Wow. You should try LW FiberFX some time, you can just brush the hair into the style you want. Something about the skin bump still feels too hard to me. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the SSS, or maybe the bump is too intense. I'm leaning towards SSS though, some real people have very bumpy skin and it still looks real.

Yeah, XSI has brush tool too, but you still need to brush the guide hair one by one if you want to get a perfect hair style, that's my choice, I don't care how much time it takes. :)

Regards,

akira.

Much better looking. Now she needs some more skin color variety. Capillaries, blush, maybe a few freckles.

I can't claim this is perfect, but here's an example I did back in June. This was painted in 3DC and rendered in LW.

http://philnolan3d.com/images/WIPS/andrea_wip_19.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the example picture. :)

Those details have already be painted on her skin texture, but the sub scattering effect of the shader was set too strong to see them.

So I made a weight map to get more precise control to the blending between diffuse and scattering colors.

Now the skin details are back. :)

akira.

post-751-1227655613_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the example picture. :)

Those details have already be painted on her skin texture, but the sub scattering effect of the shader was set too strong to see them.

So I made a weight map to get more precise control to the blending between diffuse and scattering colors.

Now the skin details are back. :)

akira.

That's looking really nice akira! I am trying to get skin to look realistic here too and I've failed miserably. Could you share how you got the base color for your skin? Did you construct a 3dcoat texture material out of a photo? Or did you just work with solid colors?

hey Akira , the last screen look pretty nice, nice work on the skin texture, maybe with some test on lighting and some tweak for teh specular you will can get something more close to reality if it the target you try to reach.

At least to me she look pretty cool at this point, maybe some hair work now :lol:

• Advanced Member
That's looking really nice akira! I am trying to get skin to look realistic here too and I've failed miserably. Could you share how you got the base color for your skin? Did you construct a 3dcoat texture material out of a photo? Or did you just work with solid colors?

Thank you, I painted the skin texture in 3DC, all by hand but loaded some photo reference as color picker.

Theres a nice tutorial for painting skin textures:

http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.com/art...le.jsp?id=31082

And here is the brushes he used for painting, they work perfectly with 3DC:

http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.com/art...le.jsp?id=30854

Hope this helps, I'll post my shader tree when I get home.

hey Akira , the last screen look pretty nice, nice work on the skin texture, maybe with some test on lighting and some tweak for teh specular you will can get something more close to reality if it the target you try to reach.

At least to me she look pretty cool at this point, maybe some hair work now :lol:

Thank you :)

Yeah I need to test more on lighting and more hair tweaking, and the most urgent - a faster CPU. LOL

Currently I'm using E2180@3.0G with 6GB of dram.

It took me 10min for rendering her head without hair, 2.5 hours for a single shot with her hair turned on. Thats why this WIP updates so slow :P.

Regards,

akira.

It's looking great now, much better. now I'm thinking the eyes are too white. It looks like you do have the pink and veins in there but it's not showing clearly, maybe the same issue you mentioned with the skin.

Here's an eye texture from my collection if you'd like to try something different.

post-466-1227759729_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
It's looking great now, much better. now I'm thinking the eyes are too white. It looks like you do have the pink and veins in there but it's not showing clearly, maybe the same issue you mentioned with the skin.

Here's an eye texture from my collection if you'd like to try something different.

Thank you, my eye diffuse texture looks like this one too, it was the lighting that made it looked too bright, I'll improve it.

Actually I have a real-life reference for her, and her eyes don't have too much pink and veins, I'd like to follow my reference first. :)

akira.

post-751-1227769420_thumb.jpg