3DCoat Forums

New_Web page look

Ballistic_Tension

• Advanced Member

3dcoat has a new web layout/look .?  just want to make sure of this as I would of thought a announcement would of been posted is all thought it might of got hacked redirected . its day one but I liked the old one better already. The home page has no green in it as this color I associate with 3Dc  the Logo  3DCOAT is blocky text  the A  looks kinda like a R . As I didn't see the reg Logo I was suspicious.  For me the white background and blue text in the furon  is thumbs down .    just my opinion  change is a good thing.       green is the new blue :(      

Well i like the new design.

Looks more professional and reputable.

I would like to see more promo pictures in the slider.

Another thing is when i click community to reach the forums. It took me some time to find the link to the forum.

By default i get the client list which is not what i expect when clicking community.

Please announce such changes in the forums and especially via Twitter, Facebook etc. This will generate more attention for this great software!

• Advanced Member

I agree, new look is great!

I kinda prefer the older darker color theme though. this one doesnt seem to match the colors of the software.

but otherwise great job! makes everything look a more professional and reputable!

First, after I got over the shock (had just visited yesterday) of the update. I have to say first impression is positive.

Please warn next time a complete change is going to be made, as my mind immediately went to a hack as well.

Rock On.

Kevin L

Oh dear, oh my.

I'm already half blind from 30 + years of staring at high intensity (bright) computer monitors.  It's getting to the point where I almost cannot read black text on stark white backgrounds.  I won't even use software that features this theme.

For all you young whipper snappers who think you will never have this problem - and that your eyes are indestructible (I never gave this issue a thought when I was young, either) -  YOU'LL SEE  .  .  .  or rather  .  .  .  you won't !

White backgrounds with black text is the new theme trend (which is really just a recycling of an old theme trend).  Why be trendy? - be practical - long term - instead.

My vote is to allow the user to change to a dark background with light colored text (not yellow, please).

Greg Smith

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor

Oh dear, oh my.

I'm already half blind from 30 + years of staring at high intensity (bright) computer monitors.  It's getting to the point where I almost cannot read black text on stark white backgrounds.  I won't even use software that features this theme.

For all you young whipper snappers who think you will never have this problem - and that your eyes are indestructible (I never gave this issue a thought when I was young, either) -  YOU'LL SEE  .  .  .  or rather  .  .  .  you won't !

White backgrounds with black text is the new theme trend (which is really just a recycling of an old theme trend).  Why be trendy? - be practical - long term - instead.

My vote is to allow the user to change to a dark background with light colored text (not yellow, please).

Greg Smith

I hear you on this...as these 60 odd year eyes --- White is blinding on a Monitor.. I tend to like a more darker neutral color. I can live with the white but when viewing the "Finished Works" images at larger sizes the background does not get grayed out. The white background is very distracting when viewing the images.

When viewing image attachments in the WIP thread the background does get grayed out.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Contributor

As long as we have ye olde dark forum skin available, I'm happy. :) I too value my eyes and try to use dark themes and skins wherever and whenever I can. This is one of the reasons I haven't upgraded my phone to Lollipop.

I never visit the main page anyway, so it doesn't bother me much that it's now bright. Besides, there are browser plugins like Stylish that allow you to use custom CSS for web pages. You can use them as a last resort to overwrite the style you don't like.

Yea if we could get a dark skin for this forum that'd be great! For instance when viewing which users are online people with yellow text(new users) are completely unreadable. 

Also the images on the front-page of the site are pixelated and the features section should be collapsible, right now they only collapse when clicking on a new feature.

Edited by DaveMW

I went to the bottom of the page where it says change theme and selected 3dcoat and it has gone back to normal old view.

edit was typing error.

Ah nice!

it would be nice however to make sure new forum is accessible as possible for new comers. Make sure everything is visible and easy to navigate without irritation. 

• Advanced Member

thanks Blondie my eyes can relax again ( 50 and over club)  that white is just to bright . The site does look more professional but I liked the pilgway home schooled kinda look .  hopefully  I wont have to keep logging in .I hate typing.

Other then it being too bright (and changing from green as the 'official' color to Teal?), I love it.

Always felt the old website design didn't feel professional enough, and this does a wonderful job remedying that.

Proposed changes: http://i.imgur.com/tLvGIYv.jpg

Edited by PolyHertz

• Contributor

LOVE IITTTTTTTTTTT , for the main part , gallery , main page etc ITS GREAT

White hurts my eyes too a bit.....

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Contributor

The Tapatalk 3D-Coat forum app on my iPhone stopped updating. I didn't realize it until just now. I think this new forum design broke the Tapatalk connection somehow. It's funny because the app still worked and acted like everything was normal, but there hadn't been any updates for a day or two. I thought maybe people were starting to lose interest in 3D-Coat. Then I decided to check the desktop version and BOOM! New website! Strange that there were no announcements saying the website design would be changed.

Anyways, like everybody else, I don't like the bright white background. I prefer a dark one (better for the eyes). I think the PolyHertz proposed changes (post #18 above) are very good. That way the old color theme is kept, the background is easy for the eyes, and the site will still look new.

• Contributor

Definitely more pro looking.

New site will get things better and i quarantine this.

Many users including me introduce 3d coat all day 24 / 7  to other pros in the industry.

Coming in and have everything looking good is a huge plus.

• Advanced Member

Definitely more pro looking.

New site will get things better and i quarantine this.

Many users including me introduce 3d coat all day 24 / 7  to other pros in the industry.

Coming in and have everything looking good is a huge plus.

This is true. I shared the new site on my Facebook and the first reply says "now it looks like a good app".

These days we really need to pay attention to the presentation. 

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

If anyone's interested, I can share a CSS override for the main page that converts it to a dark theme (requires Stylish plugin for Firefox / Pale Moon / Chrome or compatible browsers).

attachicon.gif3d-coat_site_stylish_dark.jpg

Please e-mail this to Andrew, as I think the whole website should change to this. Bright white is just too harsh on a person's eyes. It still keeps the fresh look, but solves the too-bright problem.

• Reputable Contributor

the  references (customers/clients) under community are gone?

when clicking on community, it redirects me straight to the forums

Yeah, they probably got some notice from one or more of those companies to not include them, which would be a shame. You see it with other companies. I guess they must have some deals with Autodesk and/or Pixologic, which frown on them being linked to another competitor.

The other problematic aspect to it was, the statement above all of that, linking to their "Voice" page or something like that. I understand them wanting to use the opportunity to share their faith, but there is a time and a place for everything under the sun (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8), and that ain't the place for it. I told Stas before, at the most, under the ABOUT US tab, they could link to a blog or something, where they share this. Doesn't belong at the front door of a business, IMHO.

• Like 2

• Contributor

i agree with the proposed adjustments. teal should be replaced for the official green, and the background should be mode dark.

@ajz3d: please share the stylish modification :)

Ok here it is. Create a new Stylish style and paste this in:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document regexp('http://3dcoat.com/(?!forum).*') {
    html{
        background-color: #202020 !important;
    }
    body{
        background-color: inherit !important;
    }
    .beige-container{
        color: #909090 !important;
    }
    .feature-content{
        background-color: #101010 !important;
        color: #808080 !important;
        border-style: none !important;
    }
    .bodytext, b{
        color: inherit !important;
    }
    .menu-level2-container{
        background-color: #000 !important;
    }
    .menu-level2 li{
    }
    .buynow-section-container{
        background-color: inherit !important;
    }
    .upgrade-section-container{
        background-color: #303030 !important;
    }
    .serial-remind-container{
        background-color: #404040 !important;
    }
    .buynow-box{
        background-color: #aaa !important;
    }
    .price{
        border-bottom-color: #000 !important;
    }
    .vat{
        color: #41909C !important;
    }
    .btn{
        background-color: #41909C !important;
    }
    .button_submit{
        background-color: #41909C !important;
    }
    .column-gallery3d h5, .column-gallery3d p{
        background-color: #101010 !important;
        box-shadow: none !important;
    }
    .lb-outerContainer{
    }
}
I didn't override the teal colour, because I like it better than the saturated green we previously had. :)
  • Like 1

Yeah, they probably got some notice from one or more of those companies to not include them, which would be a shame. You see it with other companies. I guess they must have some deals with Autodesk and/or Pixologic, which frown on them being linked to another competitor.

The other problematic aspect to it was, the statement above all of that, linking to their "Voice" page or something like that. I understand them wanting to use the opportunity to share their faith, but there is a time and a place for everything under the sun (Ecclesiastes 3:1- 8), and that ain't the place for it. I told Stas before, at the most, under the ABOUT US tab, they could link to a blog or something, where they share this. Doesn't belong at the front door of a business, IMHO.

Agreed it could put many people off of the software. Nobody wants to feel as if someone is pushing an agenda at them even if it's not true. I honestly think just a small disclaimer saying "Please think about how you use our software, try to promote values that are...  human life blah blha blah" you don't even have to mention religion. 

Edited by DaveMW
  • Like 1