3DCoat Forums

import of scientific volume data sets

SMcQ

There are many different formats for volume data sets, depending on where the data came from, but they all amount to 3D grids with scalar values. Some scientific visualization programs, like UCSF Chimera (open source) can create isosurfaces that define certain density values, and these can be exported as surface meshes in VRML or OBJ formats. It would be very nice if someone could program a converter that would translate volume data sets directly into the 3DC volume format, for enhancement, artistic interpretation and remeshing. What would be required in 3DC, then, is the ability to set the sensitivity to scalar values in order to define the working isosurface. Andrew's technology sure beats every volumetric scientific visualization program I've seen.

SMcQ

I will make Volumetric SDK before release, so everyone will be able to use 3DC's Volumetric capabilities to export/import/manage/modify. So, you will be able to use 3DC for scientific visualisation using Visual Studio.

That's great! Now all I have to do is learn how to program. Should be a cinch. Couple of weeks to master it, right? (Insert dismayed emoticon here, I can't even get that to work.)

SMcQ

• 4 weeks later...
I will make Volumetric SDK before release, so everyone will be able to use 3DC's Volumetric capabilities to export/import/manage/modify. So, you will be able to use 3DC for scientific visualisation using Visual Studio.

Meaning, you will have an SDK so that we can get voxel data in/out of 3DC, or that you will allow us to implement portions of 3DC in our scientific applications?

- Chad

Yes. Exactly. Export/import/realtime manipulations/scientific modeling.

If it were possible for us to build a "Sculpt" module based on 3D Coat into our scientific software, that would be very interesting indeed. We'd have to work something out with the licensing of course, but that shouldn't be hard.

But if we have to stop processing the dataset, export it, open the dataset in 3DC, sculpt, export the dataset, then re-open it our other software, that's less interactive.

- Chad