3DCoat Forums

Import objects: materials listed as UV set names ?

Carlosan

Paint Room

Import model for PPP

When i import a model all the materials are listed as UV set names

post-10142-0-18146400-1452989177_thumb.j

The original exported model have 6 meshes and 11 materials

After import i have 6 paint objects but 11 uv sets.

post-10142-0-92274300-1452990123_thumb.j

The original model have only 1 uvset by mesh. Total = 6 uv sets

post-10142-0-66863900-1452990171_thumb.j

- File format export dont matter, obj, fbx, dae...

- Preferences > Treat retopo objects as Paint Object dont matter, this option on/off change anything

When exporting textures i have 11 normal maps, 11 reflections maps, etc

post-10142-0-43758100-1452990563_thumb.j

What workflow i need ?

Be able to import a model made by different meshes, and to use for every mesh their own original UVset.

To have automatic group layer created by mesh, but inside every layer group to have for every material a layer created and named.

Export only texture maps by paint objects, not for every material

Whats im doing wrong ? cant achieve this workflow

Any help is appreciated.

ty

• 1 month later...

Still trying to find a workflow

obj, fbx dae... 3DC > import model for ppp > all the materials are listed as uvset

suppose i have a model with 3 objects: cube, sphere, cone

every model have their own uvset and materials: cube, sphere, cone

Thread retopo objects as paint objects = ON

When i import the fbx model for ppp there is 3 paint objects, 3 surface materials, 3 uvset

When i import the obj model for ppp there is 3 paint objects, 3 surface materials, 3 uvset

Thread retopo objects as paint objects = OFF

When i import the fbx model for ppp there is 3 paint objects, 3 surface materials, 3 uvset

When i import the obj model for ppp there is 3 paint objects, 3 surface materials, 3 uvset

IF i add a new material to one object, example i a ssign a new material to one cube face...

When i import the obj model for ppp there is 3 paint objects, 4 surface materials, 4 uvset :wacko:

why ? i still have 3 uvset, one by object... not 4

post-10142-0-95367800-1457087898_thumb.j

im lost

3.zip

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, the way models are imported into the paint room needs to be updated... 

1. multiple objects in the same file with multiple surface materials and uv sets..

2. Imported so each object will have it's own paint layer group which includes the surface materials and the uv set for that model.

The above is I believe is close to what you are asking for, correct me if I am wrong..
I might know a workaround but would have to test and it would be rather a lot of work... The importing of models into the paint room does need an update...

Once 4.5.29 with the new PBR system is completely working, would be a good time to address the issue to Andrew...

We could combine our ideas on the matter... 

I will look at your file too...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

OBJ format does not natively support more then one UV set per-mesh, but can have multiple material per-mesh...I guess it was implemented in such a way due to that limitation?

I do think it would be nice if there was a right click option on layer groups to export just the groups maps though.

• Reputable Contributor

The OBJ file format though can support more than one UV set per mesh... 3DC will recognize the multiple uv sets for one mesh in an obj file.. See attached image.

It has to be written a certain way, I have not studied enough to know yet... The cube in my example had the two uv sets created inside 3DC and exported from the retopo room. I then imported the cube into  PPP mode in the paint room

It is a simple cube with two uv sets and a surface material associated with each uv set... 

This imports into 3DC correctly as one model with 2 uv sets and a surface material for each uv set.

If I misunderstood your statement, then please inform me. :)

post-518-0-25982600-1457115797_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

TY, im testing that so

That statement of mine was concerning the visual appearance of the imported Modo FBX file, not concerning how it imports uv sets and materials.

His FBX model had visual artifacts.

I updated my post in the SOS thread to reflect what I just said here...

Edited by digman

The obj model exported from Blender 2.77 import into SubstancePainter show the same problem.

3 models but 4 uvsets

obj file system = no good

im rethinking my workflow, i need to import/export one model with some subobjects without troubles