3DCoat Forums

Adjust primary light direction

chr1

I am trying to adjust the position of the primary light in my scene, and I can't figure out how to do this. There is an "Adjust Light Angle" icon at the top of the screen, but nothing happens when I click and drag my LMB over it.

I am guessing that there is a simple solution, such as a "lock primary light to camera" checkbox, but if there is, I cannot find it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Reputable Contributor

The below does not include the render room where is it possible to have a few lights and some control over the light direction parameters

You can not adjust the same type of light angle as was possible in the pre-pbr versions of 3DC. The light angle only rotates the ENV map in a horizontal fashion.

There is one way to have some of the old style of light angle movements but appears to be only for the Sculpt Room or in the paint room when you are painting polypaint on a surface mode object.

Geometry menu / Cast Shadows. Light from the Env will be disabled.

Camera / Background /  Use Gradient.   I do this otherwise when moving the light the env maps also moves which is distracting.

Camera / Background / lock Env.

The above is good to help check your sculpt under different lighting conditions.

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

Thanks for your reply! Are you saying that I can only adjust the light direction in the render room by adding new lights? I have tried this, but somehow, nothing seems to help. If someone could explain the steps needed to render an image so that the light is coming from someplace other than the camera, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have attempted to do this by creating a new light, and then moving this light around, but if this is doing anything, then the effects are barely perceptible.

The below does not include the render room where is it possible to have a few lights and some control over the light direction parameters

You can not adjust the same type of light angle as was possible in the pre-pbr versions of 3DC. The light angle only rotates the ENV map in a horizontal fashion.

There is one way to have some of the old style of light angle movements but appears to be only for the Sculpt Room or in the paint room when you are painting polypaint on a surface mode object.

Geometry menu / Cast Shadows. Light from the Env will be disabled.

Camera / Background /  Use Gradient.   I do this otherwise when moving the light the env maps also moves which is distracting.

Camera / Background / lock Env.

The above is good to help check your sculpt under different lighting conditions.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Tkanks for your reply. After several hours of adding and deleting lights, and adjusting the parameters of these lights, I still can't figure out how to get the light to move. The "intensity" parameter has an effect, but the "light height" and "rotation angle" parameters do not seem to do anything at all. I hope that someone can tell me what I am doing wrong!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...