13th Challenge: Tin Toys  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 13 Winner

• ajz3d
    • Blaster
    • Tony Nemo

• Advanced Member

Jason it progress very nicely.

I better find some time so i can start mine as well.

Thanks, yes, yes, get started!  *cracks whip*  ;)  Another small update, I added the turret and cannon.  I'm still unsure how I'm going to handle the back hatch and popup soldier.  I might leave the hatch closed and skip the soldier?  

post-38101-0-00736500-1454285540_thumb.p

Jason

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thinking ahead to the retopology, I have a question.  Once I have retopologized the parts I would like to delete some of the un-needed polys and then extrude the edges to give them some depth.  Is this doable with 3D-Coat?  I was going to do it in Blender, but I wasn't sure if that was allowable with the contest rules?  Thanks,

Jason

• Like 1

Looking good Jason!  I would love to see the soldier on top with the hatch if you can figure it out.  

Adding thickness to your retopo mesh in another package is allowed.  I wonder if there is a way to do it in 3dcoat also.  Anyone have a suggestion?  

Here is my update.  Not much but its a start. 

post-39822-0-21046600-1454340926_thumb.j

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I am still struggling with the bell curve at the bottom of my tin toy train. I have tried various ways to get it to bend but none of the tools I use seem to do the trick. Cut and clone works great as I don't need to go in with the curve tool to get my shape. Getting the actual shape though isn't really the issue its bending it that is the problem. The warp tool doesn't really do the job I want it to do and I have fiddled with settings for a good hour before giving up haha.

Latest-Arrival-Reminiscence-Children-Vin

It would be perfect if there was a tool where I could draw a curve (with one of the curve brushes in the E panel) and then extend voxels along that curve and be able to control the thickness of the curve along with a taper so you can get really exact and then use the sculpt tools to define your shape. 

Edited by ScrotieFlapWack
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

I had a similar  problem with a shape I ended up using the lath  in primitives  it was the way for me . 

Getting the basic shape is no problem, I can use the cut and clone tool, or vox layer, etc. It's making that shape actually deform into a bell shaped curve which is what I am struggling with :(

Being able to deform a shape with a very specific selection is what I am looking for but I don't know what tool would achieve that. The brushes in the E panel would help me make specific selections but there isn't any tools to deform a basic shape.

The primitives tab has two shapes which have a bounding box with four control points, this works nicely for deforming shapes but you can't add control points to do specific or further deformations, I'm kinda stuck on this at the moment. I'm working on other elements of my tin train toy but I would love to know an efficient/simple way on how to do this, there must be a way haha.

I have been fiddling with tools and brushes for the past few hours now trying to achieve something close or even have an 'ah - ha' moment but nothing is coming my way, I seem to be just fighting with the tools, I could just make this shape in MODO in a couple of minutes or even seconds but I want to be fluent with 3D - Coat plus the challenge rules state that only 3D - Coat can be used to make the end result.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Ok your talking about the main top piece on the bottom you want to flare it out..  1st keep original   1) make the bottom new piece and add that flare going up into the top. or  2) clone top 2 separate times scale 1 smaller and subtract from other to hollow it out  then take that one and add/take out / make the flare /bell  and then scale it over the main one just enough to subtract ..  a long way to do I know  . I also was looking for a tool to just say grab that bottom and bell it out.  maybe the pose tool I tried but was a no go only like the 2nd time I used it .  I hear you on wanting to switch to Modo me its blender  but that's part of relearning new ways to model.  It comes down to moving just a section in uniformity on just that section of mesh and make adjustments..  mmm if only the Lath  tool worked backwards as to put your made model profile in it and then edit it there.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

@Ballistic_Tension, that's a cool method I can kinda see what you mean. Myself and Digman are going crazy on Skype trying to come up with a good process on getting this kind of shape in a simple and efficient way haha. One that doesn't require fiddling with the sculpting tools (if that makes sense).

If only you could sketch out shapes in 3D - Coat rather than having to always start off with a primitive it would make it a lot easier.

We kind of achieved the flare effect with the pose tool but then we realized that the body of the train needs to have a fairly steep but soft taper outwards at the bottom so when you combine the flared our shape they flow nicely giving the profile we are after. 

It's a real head scratcher this one but we will crack it and I gotta say thanks to Blaster for the generous deadline on this challenge haha :D

• Advanced Member

You might want to try the method that Michael described.  First make a small model of the curve, by doing something like subtracting a cylinder from a cube.  Then save that in the models so you can then use it with the curves tool.  It will probably take some adjusting but you should be able to wrap the curve around the bottom of your train with the model and get a good bell curve.  I've never done this so YMMV.  :)

Jason

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Looking good Jason!  I would love to see the soldier on top with the hatch if you can figure it out.  

Adding thickness to your retopo mesh in another package is allowed.  I wonder if there is a way to do it in 3dcoat also.  Anyone have a suggestion?  

Great start!  :)  Thanks for the info, I will hold off a bit for a 3D-Coat solution.  If there isn't one, off to Blender I will go. 

Jason

• Advanced Member

You might want to try the method that Michael described.  First make a small model of the curve, by doing something like subtracting a cylinder from a cube.  Then save that in the models so you can then use it with the curves tool.  It will probably take some adjusting but you should be able to wrap the curve around the bottom of your train with the model and get a good bell curve.  I've never done this so YMMV.   :)

Jason

Awesome, sorry Micheal I totally forgot to try your suggestion. I think that is the simplest way of getting this shape so I will definitely give it a try and see how it works out. It's just this bit I am struggling with, with this part out of the way I can add the little details like how all the parts connect to the base and then its onto the fun stuff, retopo and UV :(

Really looking forwards to the texturing of this though haha!

Just to add to this post here. I watched and purchased Taros awesome fantasy weapon series on Gumroad and in there he uses this method for making rope but he did retopo and bake the rope, do you suggest I do this to the bottom part of my train.

I guess I would prefer to retopo it altogether (cos I'm a bad ass haha).

Any models you use as presets do they need to be retopo?

• Contributor

I was thinking about possible approaches to tin toys in 3D-Coat, and I think I'll stick to the following:

- create a rough voxel/surface representation of a given shape

- retopo in the retopo room using subdivision surfaces

- merge the shape back (with several levels of subdivision) to sculpt room, with slight thickness applied to the model

- rinse and repeat

- batter and deform all surfaces where necessary. :)

Thats not a bad solution ajz3d. I have been modeling with Voxel and then using the subtract from...... operation in the voxel tree.   I subtract a duplicated mesh just slightly scaled in to get the shell.  Whatever works I guess. lol  I do wish there was a way to extract a shell with thickness from a voxel mesh.  If there is a way to do this would someone mind sharing a how to? 

• Like 1

• Contributor

Thats not a bad solution ajz3d. I have been modeling with Voxel and then using the subtract from...... operation in the voxel tree.   I subtract a duplicated mesh just slightly scaled in to get the shell.  Whatever works I guess. lol  I do wish there was a way to extract a shell with thickness from a voxel mesh.  If there is a way to do this would someone mind sharing a how to? 

Try Extract Shell -> Make Shell Using Voxels (RMB over your voxel layer to find this command). This will make the volume hallow. You need plenty of voxel resolution though.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hey Ajz3d  that is great to know of this tool.  If only it subtracted / took out the  New  Outer parts ( which is inside your mesh)  meaning I still have to delete hollow it out . to see that it hollowed it out and adds a new wall.  I would love to be able to have this setting in Primitives > Lathe >  Just make External Shell  >  Wall Thickness .......    my work flow is make a object  then duplicate/clone twice scale down 1 just right and subtract from other as to fish gut it out. The Extract Shell does this but I want the guts out to .  Now that I think of it put Wall Thickness Fish Gut setting on all the Primitives 

edit :   ok it does hollow out  just needed to cut into it deeper.  that there is one sweet  time saver of a tool.  TY :)   

Edited by Ballistic_Tension
  • Like 1

• Contributor

I used Autopo on the arm (it's disconnected) and with a couple of strokes, it turned out really well. The body is manual as I want to paint different areas easily in the Editor so seams must follow form.

Edited by Tony Nemo

Looking good Tony! 

How is everyone doing on time management?  I know we are coming into the final weeks of the challenge and I noticed no one has moved onto texturing and lighting yet. I may extend the deadline if need be. It's really exciting to see the tin toys come to life.  Keep up the good work everyone!