3DCoat Forums

Free PBR Smart Materials 2016

Riddell

Hi Folks.

I have been slowly but surely learning PBR workflow over the last few weeks and seeing as there isn't many resources for free smart materials, I thought some people may find use in the ones that I have been making and will continue to make. To be clear, I am still very much a newcomer to the 3D scene but wanted to give back something in return for all the help people have given me so far.

Here is the new link to my full set of my PBR Materials: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B3JVfUcxeTJtNzFtVVNVeWZ6Mk0

Let me know if you run into any issues or have questions and I'll try my best to help.

Cheers!

• Like 8

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you well much!

I been diving more into the smart material creation as well...  :moil:

For the full download of your smart materials, appox 26 meg, you could create an 3DC extension for the smart materials.

Then the user could simply install the 3DC extension under the File menu.

post-518-0-68121300-1454170746_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Again nice pbr smart materials, you got there... I just dropped the whole PPBR folder under Patterns. This was for your full set download. I rename the folder in 3DC to Riddel to remind me where this fine set of Smart Materials came from.

Some suggestions...  

Roughness / Metalness workflow

If you are creating the wood materials or any materials from scratch, I would save as a png format. Png is lossless compression producing no compression artifacts in the image. Jpg produces too many compression artifacts normally. Your Smart Materials would be of a higher quality using Png...

There is no need to input a metal image map(black) for a dielectric material as long as the metal input in the SM editor is set to "0%". This will make your smart material use a little less resources.

This applies to the metal smart materials as well, no need to input a white image map as long as the input is set "100%".

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind words!

I wasn't sure what the "correct" way was to deal with pure metals/dielectrics so decided to use a black (or white) map in the appropriate channel, however now that you mention it, I could just use the percentage slider in the SM editor which would save a bit of space. I think I'll start doing that for future.

Texture compression is something that I would like to reduce as much as possible. I tried converting a few RAW textures to both JPEG and PNG at 2k however I didn't see any noticeable compression artifacts so just went with JPEG to save a bit of space. Perhaps I should take another look.

I've been experimenting a bit today with "wear" effects on wood so should hopefully have a few more available next week. I really need to stop just making wood materials, but I find it too much fun working on wood!

• Reputable Contributor

From experience there is no pure 0% or 100% in nature...... ;)

Said that Davids suggestion will work too.

I will put the the short version now...

Roughness / Metalness workflow...

A Metal map is white (all metal or black (no metal).  The pure metal map itself should never be less that 100% in the smart material editor

The metal map can contain some grayscale values that are used to translate between the pure metal and the dielectric material grunge...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glossness---Metalness workflow the metal map can be set less than 100%  in the smart material editor...

The above seems to be the short version of all I read.... 

Attached image is what I mean by grayscale values used in transition... The two bottom layers were all metal, the top layer a pure dielectric material which has to add some grayscale to the metal map for the transition of the grunge.

Again sorry for all my edits... as I said PBR can be confusing even after tons of reading...

post-518-0-02828800-1454295740_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

That metal map is ok for the Glossness / Roughness workflow but not the Roughness / Metalness workflow to my understanding.;..

The metal map would start out at 100% pure white and only grayscale values added for the transitions as I stated earlier...

2) - You ditch the Specular texture and go with Metallic texture instead. Metallic is as straightforward as it sounds: objects made out of metal are generally white on this texture and dielectric are black. Grey values would usually be reserved for transition between layered materials like say dirty metal. 

http://artisaverb.info/PBT.html

A few other sites that talk about grayscale being used for transitions in the roughness / metalness workflow... I will find them later...

This is a good discussion for this thread as it is concerning the creating of materials in the roughness / metalness workflow... hopefully Riddell will not mine.

EDIT: I added a second metal map, 100% in the smart material editor but with the grayscale transitions.

post-518-0-40597800-1454300289_thumb.png

Edited by digman

From what I've heard/heard, my understanding of how metalness should be treated agrees with Digman - the metalness map should be primarily black and white with some areas of grey suitable for areas of dirt/dust/rust etc where there is a transition between metal and non-metal.

From one of Marmoset's excellent PBR articles:

For metallic surfaces – pixels set to 1.0 (white) in the metalness map – the specular color and intensity is taken from the albedo map, and the diffuse value is set to 0 (black) in the shader. Gray values in the metalness map will be treated as partially metallic and will pull the reflectivity from the albedo and darken the diffuse proportionally to that value (partially metallic materials are uncommon).

PROTIP: Metalness maps should use values of 0 or 1 ( some gradation can be okay for transitions). Materials like painted metal should not be set to metallic as paint is an insulator. The metalness value should represent the top layer of the material.
Edited by Riddell

• Reputable Contributor

From what I've heard/heard, my understanding of how metalness should be treated agrees with Digman - the metalness map should be primarily black and white with some areas of grey suitable for areas of dirt/dust/rust etc where there is a transition between metal and non-metal.

From one of Marmoset's excellent PBR articles

That is one the site I was trying to remember but alas the old brain pooped out on me... By the way I sent you a link for a couple of Smart Materials I created in a pm, a small token of thanks...

Edited by digman

A few more (wood!) PBR's added. One includes an attempt and something other than a perfect surface! http://roughmetal.duckdns.org/

I think I will take a break from wood for a little while and try some other material types. Perhaps stone next.

wood_flakey_paint_preview.PNG

P.S. I took your advice Digman and packaged all of the Smart Materials as a 3dcpack extension - much simpler!

• Like 2

Another couple of Smart Materials added today ready for download http://roughmetal.duckdns.org/. Wanted to try and create some heavy grunge/wear textures and relatively happy about how they turned out.

plastic_slime_preview.PNG

And here is an early preview of what I'm trying to get working at the moment, should be able to get a few more uploaded next week.

sneakpeak_small.png

Have a good weekend folks!

• Like 3

Hi folks, hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I've been pretty busy (or lazy?) this week so haven't had a chance to spend much time with 3DC so just a single new Smart Material this week - silver foil

silver_foil_preview.png

I have however spent a bit of time fine tuning some of my older smart materials which have now been updated and I've refreshed all of the previews with higher quality versions.

http://roughmetal.duckdns.org/

Stay tuned for more!

Edited by Riddell
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys and gals, sorry for the long delay. I've been away from PBR materials for a while learning UE4. The webserver that I was using to host the PBR materials became corrupted which is why I had to take it offline. I should be able to re-upload the 3DCoat extension file which contains all the Smart Materials shortly and work on getting everything else back up and running shortly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I got a reply from the developer.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi Carlosan,

I've checked my backups but unfortunately I don't seem to have a copy of the old PBR materials that I created, sorry! If I come across them at some point I will let you know.

Thanks,
Mark

• Carlosan changed the title to Free PBR Smart Materials 2016
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic