3DCoat Forums

Software for comparing models

Taros

Hi.

Do someone knows a tool that helps to compare two individual models?

I would like to load two models in that seem identical. The software should be able to help me to compare this models.

The result could be a value that says how identical the objects are.

The best would be if the tool arrange the models automatically for the comparison.

Someone ever used such a tool?

We have 3D scans that have to be compared.

Thank you
Chris

That sounds like something that could be done with a script in Max/Maya/etc.

What do you mean though by "how identical the objects are" ? Maybe stats like such? :

-Volume difference
-per-poly surface area average difference
-width/height/depth difference
-vert/edge/poly count difference

Edited by PolyHertz

If the software says: "The source shape is 91% equal to the target." then I am pleased and can say the models are the same.

Two cubes can be up to 95-100% equal. A cube and a sphere may be 10% equal, or less.

Imagine you want to proof copies of an original object or versions of a product.

• Advanced Member

See I would take a completely different approach, save both models as readable .obj or a format that can output to readable text (non binary) and use a simple file compare tool.

There are also IDEs that have the compare feature built in, highlights the different parts of the file..etc

Source control software is another example ( a bit overkill here) but if you guys already have that for version control, you can pretty much diff both files and it will tell you what's changed.

Hi. Thank you for the proposal, but this will not work.

Everytime when a model is scanned or modeled it have different amount of vertex and the vertex has different positions and ids.

This leads in completely different files, although the shapes are the same. But what I need is to find models with same shapes.

Additionally if you have a lot of data and the scan files are 2-10 Mio vertex per model it begin to be a big challenge.

Best wishes

Chris