3DCoat Forums

importing

do lo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Because they are giant companies who other giant companies want compatibility with? There are other issues to take into account, like why Unity can load up 3ds max files fine but have no support for dropping a zbrush file in, it's up to the developers to determine whether or not they want users of their software to have compatibility with other software. I don't know why an answer like "The SDK's aren't in the public domain" isn't good enough for you.

What would you like to import/export to? Maybe you could tweet the developers of said companies and ask them to get in touch with 3dc devs about compatibility.

• Reputable Contributor

i would like to see more compatability with onther file types. for solidworks, zbrush, maya, modo, 3ds, rhino... etc.... would be awesomeee...

I use 3ds Max regularly and I never use the .3ds format. It is old and dilapidated. OBJ and FBX or the primary exchange formats between apps and 3D Coat supports those among others like SAT and PLY

• Advanced Member

i would like to see more compatability with onther file types. for solidworks, zbrush, maya, modo, 3ds, rhino... etc.... would be awesomeee...

The question is what one would gain by reading the mentioned propritary formats that can't

get stored in .obj or fbx. I'd say nothing, at least not in 3DCoat.

Rhino's .3dm format is actually documented and can get read and written by third party programs.

This is great for other Nurbs programs, such as MoI or Solidworks or CAM-programs for milling.

But would supporting the format make sense in the case of 3DCoat? No.

Not until 3DC natively supports Nurbs that is. The render-mesh which is stored in a Rhino

file is the same you would  get with a simple .obj.

Other formats, such as .max are indeed closed source but one again would not profit from

what 3DSMax stores in its Modifier stack or animation data. All 3DC can handle is mesh data

and that's available in exchange formats too. The same logic applies to other programs you list.

Edited by polyxo

• Advanced Member

it would be great help to be able import the files! and if i could export then i could use in another program that has better dimensioning with exact length and so forth...