3DCoat Forums

More powerful paint smoothing

nennycan

• Reputable Contributor

Yep, the paint smoothing in 3DCOat is essentially useless for texture resolutions past about 1024x1024 (and even at that res its not very useful).

Here's the mantis report I made almost 2 years ago: http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1502

+1. Clicking SMOOTH SELECTION in the Pose tool is equally futile.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

+10

with 8192 pix textures... Texture smoothing has absolutely NO effect...
and even brush (shift) has very very little effect...

Please fix that.. 2 years after, it now look ridiculous that a basic needed thing does not work... !

• Reputable Contributor
On 7/18/2016 at 1:30 AM, herve_bis said:

+10

with 8192 pix textures... Texture smoothing has absolutely NO effect...
and even brush (shift) has very very little effect...

Please fix that.. 2 years after, it now look ridiculous that a basic needed thing does not work... !

Herve, I've been trying for years to get Andrew to switch the Paint (and hopefully the Sculpting) brush engine to GPU, rather than CPU and he has been so reluctant to do so. Probably because it would not only take a lot of work, but he thinks the current performance is good enough. It is pretty nice under many circumstances, but it really starts to bog down, fast once you start using a 4K+ map. The spinners for Opacity, Gloss and Depth in the Layer panel is so abysmally bad that they practically do not work. Might as well just remove them. It's like seeing a DETOUR sign on your way to work, yet there is a massive sink hole right in the middle of the road, where it's pointing. :D

3D Coat just cannot process a given amount of pixels in timely manner. Most game artists won't ever run into this limitation, so they obviously don't vocalize any objections to the current performance status.  I mention all of this to say that, for V5, we all need to push together on this. Andrew now has the right guy on staff to help him make the switch (Volodya, aka Carrots on the forum). Volodya has already talked with Andrew about this, too, and obviously not gotten very far. Mudbox and Mari are known for their painting performance, and it's no coincidence that both use the GPU to drive the texture painting.

The main reason the switch needs to be made is that CPU tech hit a wall about 6yrs ago, and has advanced literally at a snails pace since. For this reason, I'm still using my i7 970 which has 6 cores/12threads. It's 6yrs old! That is normally ancient technology in terms of Computer tech, but AMD jumped out of the High End market back then and Intel has sat on their ______ (fill in the blank) since that time. Not much has changed on the CPU front, since then, except energy consumption optimizations and such. However, the GPU market has never let up. It's why software vendors who stick with CPU based performance will find themselves made obsolete by those who chose to move on to GPU tech.

Andrew doesn't know what else he can do (on the CPU side of things) to optimize the brush engine. That's why sliders in the Paint room are just window dressing or a painted doorway. Help me, brothers. Help me, help you. :p: