3DCoat Forums

Displacement Baking problem

stevecullum

• Advanced Member

I'm trying to bake from the retopo room to paint microvertex, but I have an issue with the result. I have a reference mesh (hi poly) and import a retopo mesh. Then I chose bake. I increased the map to 4k, but left everything else as defaults. The result is showing the reference mesh poly in the displacement map. Does anyone know what causes this to happen?

Thanks

post-632-0-33704900-1459704439_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

This is coming from your high poly mesh right? I've noticed 3dc tends to ignore smoothing groups by default. There are some things you can do on the import options for things like subdividing and smoothing before you actually commit the mesh. But my memory is fuzzy at best on this. I'm not sure what sort of options you have when importing a reference mesh, but basically if it looks faceted when you drop it in, then that information will get baked. So you'll have to mess around with import options and see what's what.

Or hopefully someone else knows the answer. The last time I was trying to do this sort of thing I only remember being told to smooth and subdivide my mesh on import, and then smooth it some more afterwards. Naturally this is far from ideal.