3DCoat Forums

Multiple UV sets but only one showing

rooattack

Hi, I have a model that I created in the voxel room with multiple layers and imported it into the UV room, but it's only showing one single texture ID on the top left drop down menu (see 'the issue' attachment). I used the 'auto-mapping' option when importing the model for per-pixel painting. I feel like I am doing something wrong with UV mapping.

This is my workflow:

1. Create a high poly model in voxel room

2. Model has multiple layers (I.e. head, face, back, arms)

3. Export the model by going to File > export  > export scene > save as OBJ

4. Import model > Import model for Per Pixel Painting (which takes me to the Paint room) -- see 'import' attachment) attachment

5. I then click on the 'UV' tab to go to UV room. And this is where is only shows 'back' as a UV set. But on the right where it says 'surface materials', it shows all the layers that were in the original Voxel room.

Now when I export the model as an FBX and open it in Substance Painter, it shows all of my texture ID's (see 'substance' attachment) that were previously layers in the voxel room. However, 3D coat does not display this in the paint room when I import that FBX file back into 3D coat. I need to be able to apply the textures I did from substance painter to specific texture ID's in 3D coat (like head, arm, legs, etc)

I think I am doing the UV mapping incorrectly in 3D coat to begin with. But why does it work everywhere else?

post-40222-0-18542600-1460056241_thumb.p

post-40222-0-48652000-1460056525_thumb.p

post-40222-0-39833600-1460056702_thumb.p

Edited by rooattack

I exported my model to FBX, then when I try to import the fbx per pixel painting, it crashes 3D coat. Every time. It has 800k vertices. But I have 32gb of ram, so I doubt its running out of memory. I can import the obj fine without even decimating at around 1.3mill vertices

Edited by rooattack

It looks like that sort of solved the issue. I found that you can't export more than one uv set when it's an OBJ file, except now it just doesn't import into 3D coat without crashing :) how awesome is that? I just reinstalled 3D coat and it didnt fix anything. But I cant open this in another model program and export it again and 3D coat will import it. So weird and inconsistent. If 3D coat can't handle its own files that it exported because, what good is it? In fact, it doesn't matter how large my model is. I just exported an fbx file that had 16 vertices and 3D coat still crashed when it tried to import it. Pulling my friggin hair out.

Edited by rooattack

No sorry. The problem lies int he fact that no UV sets come up to begin with. Also, these videos are always showing perfectly retopologized models where as people coming from teh voxel room literally never see there meshes that clean :) 

There is a bug i found preventing 3D coat from importing any fbx files to pixel painting that 3D coat created (odd that it doesnt allow it's own generated files): http://3dcoat.com/mantis/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=2011

Its possible to you to upgrade to version 4.5.33 to test again ?

Take care, the new version have several drawbacks:

- Old shaders are disabled because shaders system was completely re-made.
- Old panoramas are disabled, you will need to add them as HDR or EXR files from scratch.

ty

• 5 months later...