3DCoat Forums

Separate stacked UV islands?

ajz3d

Go to solution Solved by ajz3d,

• Contributor

I stacked two UV islands on top of each other with CTRL+C/CTRL+V combo. Now I want to move one of them to a different UV set. How can I separate those islands now, without moving them and without changing the rest of the UVs from their set?

Please tell me this is possible without having to unwrap the UV set.

• Contributor

I guess the only way is to manually select faces of one of the stacked UV islands (with Select tool) and then move it to a different UV set. It's problematic because... yeah, it's manual. :(

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

If you're in the retopo room I'm pretty sure you can select the faces of the mesh or the island separately, and then just move them to a different UV set in the normal way (upper-left of the UI). Or are you saying that you CAN'T select a single island? Because I often have the opposite problem, where I have stacked UV's and 3dc is just refusing to let me select both (via the UV window)

• Like 1

• Contributor

Or are you saying that you CAN'T select a single island?

Yup, if identical UV islands are stacked on top of each other I think their islands get merged, because I cannot select one of them (with Mark Seams set to islands) without selecting the other (in the UV Preview window).

Because I often have the opposite problem, where I have stacked UV's and 3dc is just refusing to let me select both (via the UV window)

Lucky you. :)

• Contributor

Because I often have the opposite problem, where I have stacked UV's and 3dc is just refusing to let me select both (via the UV window)

I just realized that you're stacking separate objects. In this case I can select separate islands without problems too.

Where it is impossible is when mirrored islands of the same object are stacked on top of each other.

• Contributor

You can select the faces on the model that conform to the island you wish to move ( I hope it doesn't select both :unsure: ), 

I'm doing this now. But it's so tedious and is prone to user error. :(

I'd love if with Mark Seams we could choose whether to select a single island or the full stack in the UV Preview window. Or if clicking in the viewport with that tool on a face that belongs to a certain island selected that island (at the moment it doesn't work on mirrored islands because it selects the whole stack).

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor
  • Solution

Ahah! I found a workaround. Although it required from me to unwrap my UV-set in order to release the stacks first.

Here's how it works:

0. Unwrap (obviously) :)

1. Choose islands that are to be mirrored and move them to a different UV-set. Say UDIM 1002.

2. Pack your original UV-set so that free space is re-filled.

3. Now, go to 1002, select the island that is to be stacked over it's mirrored counterpart and copy it.

4. Go back to 1001, select mirrored island and paste the island from 1002.

Rinse and repeat points 3-4.

Et voilà. This will snap those islands to the same position, but both will still remain on their own UV tiles. :D

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1