3DCoat Forums

3DCoat Painting Skybox - ISSUES

ghib

• Advanced Member

I am attempting to paint a skybox in 3DCoat but some of the best tools for texture creation don't work if you are attempting to paint on the inside of a model with inverted normals.

Try it:

• create Sphere
  • Invert normals
  • export to 3DCoat
  • Note that any of the 'Projection' based tools don't work e.g.
    • Transform/Copy tool
    • Send to Photoshop

I presume there are more of the tools that don't work but a global Ignore Backfaces would be welcome.

thanks.

p.s. if there's a setting or something I'm missing, please don't hesitate to flame me.

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure I fully understand your idea but I think it might be what I'm attempting to do.

The problem with working over flipped normal model is that some of the useful painting tools in 3DC don't work properly. *see my first post for details*

• Advanced Member

Basically, I'm attempting to use 3DC to paint a Skybox for Unity.  So I flipped the normals of the model so I could paint on the inside of the object as though I were inside the skybox.

Does this make sense?

shot in the dark

2 spheres. One with normals flipped inside, the same -a copy- with normals flipped outside

Paint the flipped outside in 3DC

export the texture

assign the texture to the another sphere with normals flipped inside

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't think that'll cut it really.  The whole purpose behind this workflow was to be able to work as if I'm actually painting on the skybox as if I were in-game.  With all the benefits that 3DCoat brings like importing photographs/textures etc sending to Photoshop and projecting back in 3dCoat.  I think it might be something that Andrew could look at in the future. 

Requested Feature:  Global Ignore Backfaces

• Advanced Member

Yes I already have this option.  It does not help with the situation; it seems as though backface culling and ignore backfaces are different things.  At least maybe Andrew needs to include ALL tools in 3DCoat to respect the existing 'backface culling' option.

Thanks though.

What I usually end up doing for situations like this, if I need to use 3DC, is to flip the polys to face out before importing into 3DC and then import and paint just the skybox, export and flip the polys again. (All editing like flipping I do I Modo).

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Advanced Member

I guess not as the bottom texture is very rarely used (hidden under the terrain)  It's not particularly ideal though.  I've tried tons of workarounds.  Would be interesting to hear from Andrew.

Cheers for all the help guys.  I'm not blocked as I'm hand-painting the skyboxes right now but if I wanted to do any photo-manipulation it will become a hindrance the way it currently is.

I guess not as the bottom texture is very rarely used (hidden under the terrain) It's not particularly ideal though. I've tried tons of workarounds. Would be interesting to hear from Andrew.

Cheers for all the help guys. I'm not blocked as I'm hand-painting the skyboxes right now but if I wanted to do any photo-manipulation it will become a hindrance the way it currently is.

I agree. It's such a small, simple thing to need, to not be able to do in 3DC.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Advanced Member

ajz3d, my bet is that that would work and could be a reasonable work around for the time being. Still is a bit of a clunky workflow. I consider 3DCoat to be extremely versatile so hope this gets looked into.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1