3DCoat Forums

Misato Katsuragi

philnolan3d

Any anime fans probably know that name from the series Neon Genesis Evangelion, or for our Japanese readers, Shin Seiki Evangelion. Years ago I bought a resin "garage kit" model of Misato and never put it together, so I decided to model it in 3DC insead. I couldn't get any decent photos of the actual reference model, but here's some images of her from the series / movies.

misato.jpg

(Big one)

http://www.noos.org/anime/evangelion/misato/misato1.jpg

My model doesn't have the jacket, but I couldn't find any decent reference shots to show you without it. It's about 7.8m triangles. The head is also just about done, I'll post that shortly.

I actually felt kinda dumb after I realized something. I had been drawing in the detail lines by hand until it occurred to me that I should be using the Curve tool and I actually did that on the last line (right vertical line on her back). That worked much better so I may smooth out the lines that are their and redo them with Curves

post-466-1228376611_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Looking nice. a couple of the hems look a little wobbly but the rest is solid. She is perhaps a little too buxom. more Mune Mune than Misato :)

One thing that may be worth noting about Yoshiyuki Sadamotos drawing style is its pretty angular. he tends to treat clothes in a pretty planar manner. might be worth looking into if you want to nail the exact style. If you google "die sterne" and "der monde" you'll probably be able to find some good refs

edit- I actually have my images HDD here at work so i've uploaded some pics.

DieSterne1.jpg

DieSterne13.jpg

DieSterne16.jpg

DieSterne2.jpg

DieSterne9.jpg

misato-z04.jpg

misato-other.jpg

Haha Thanks, if I was going off of the anime / manga it probably would be a little different. I have all the reference I need from those though thank you. I have the DVD boxed set (watched many times), both movies, and the Groundwork of Evangelion art book. Plus a couple Eva action figures, but that doesn't really help here. hehe

Here's the best of my attempts at shooting the model with my iPhone while I was at Starbucks yesterday.

post-466-1228415681_thumb.jpg

I did the ears today but I had trouble getting rid of the lumps. So I retopologised the ear, exported it as an LWO, then merged the LWO back in and subdivided it. Deleted the original lumpy ear and dropped this one in it's place. Then just a tiny bit of cleanup where the new ear meets the head.

BTW if anyone's interested the whole series (English dub) can be viewed here:

http://www.animecrazy.net/category/complet...sis-evangelion/

post-466-1228712390_thumb.jpg

I love NGE and I like your sculp as well. Don't be worry about manga head or ears, it alway looks strange in 3D :)

I would make her much shorter chin. Your 3D model is really close to resin model you have, but I would make it more similar to original anime (or manga) artwork (I mean head proportions mainly, which are different).

Thanks, right now it's a little too dense to make major changes, but may I'll do what I did with the ear to reduce the poly count and make some of those changes. I really should have used the manga / anime version from the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Nice work. How will you approach doing the eyes? Do you plan to make them separate objects? Is there a way to carve out the eye sockets but later on fill them with voxel without merging and the eyes would be exactly following the contour of the socket?

Yeah I think I'll paint it on, though I may consider rapid prototyping as well if I can afford it at some point. Thank you. One thing that I noticed with this Tree system is that it's taking up a LOT of RAM, in fact too much for my laptop where I've been working on it. If I have all three items visible I can barely rotate the view around and if I try to increase res on the hair it crashes with an "out of memory" error.