3DCoat Forums

3DS Max 2017 got shown off by AD today...

• Reputable Contributor

With Smoke/Fire simulation tools at the very top of their official request list for the past few years, I'm really disappointed that they didn't at least try to add Bifrost/Aero since AD already bought the company. There just is no excuse for a major 3D application like 3ds Max to have no volumetric capability built in, natively. To continue forcing the user to buy and upgrade expensive ($900) plugins to get this functionality is absurd. They wasted development time adding in that ART Arch Pre-Viz render, as if Max needed yet another render (Mental Ray, iRay, QuickSilver, Scanline). Crazy.

Time to move on to Blender and Houdini

• Advanced Member

With Smoke/Fire simulation tools at the very top of their official request list for the past few years, I'm really disappointed that they didn't at least try to add Bifrost/Aero since AD already bought the company. There just is no excuse for a major 3D application like 3ds Max to have no volumetric capability built in, natively. To continue forcing the user to buy and upgrade expensive ($900) plugins to get this functionality is absurd. They wasted development time adding in that ART Arch Pre-Viz render, as if Max needed yet another render (Mental Ray, iRay, QuickSilver, Scanline). Crazy.

Time to move on to Blender and Houdini

As far as I'm concerned all Max has got now to make it really special is  the Hair Farm plug in. The whole extrude polygone model of hair styling in 3ds Max in Hair Farm is the best of all; it shows in the results too.

http://www.hair-farm.com/tutorials/?f=quick_start1

God I wish Hair Farm was a plug in for any other polygonal modeling system, even for Blender.

I moved to blender a year ago now, and I am very pleased and positive surprised anew for every day. It was a personal decision and I moved from softimage to blender.

Blender especially with the Blender Sensei interface is a revelation. Love it.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Contributor

I saw the vids. So are these good news for MAX users or what? :ph34r: I'm not a MAX user, but I'm looking for a backup modelling soft, just in case.

How much does the usual upgrade cost?

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

I saw the vids. So are these good news for MAX users or what? :ph34r: I'm not a MAX user, but I'm looking for a backup modelling soft, just in case.

How much does the usual upgrade cost?

AD has moved Max and Maya to subscription (rental) only, now....and it amounts to about $205 after tax each month, here in the US. It might be ok for short term projects, but I think other apps like Modo and Blender are better options for modeling. There are some good things still about Max, but it really seems like their releases have been pretty lame the past 4yrs or so. Maybe those who are in Arch Viz industry will feel happy and more catered to, but all the features added to Maya and left out of Max seem to show an intent to push those in Film, Games and TV entertainment toward Maya.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Each month? Wow, that's quite a sum.

Yep. Agreed 100%.Houdini Indie 1yr license can be purchased for the same price as one month sub for Max or Maya. It's cheaper if you pay for a full year in advance, but that is still pretty expensive 

• Advanced Member

both maya and max have free full featured educational versions. ( no verification necessary)

so theoretically you only have to pay for max/maya while you are actually doing work.

• Reputable Contributor

As

both maya and max have free full featured educational versions. ( no verification necessary)

so theoretically you only have to pay for max/maya while you are actually doing work.

As far as I remember, they only have the EDU versions on their Academic site, and you had to list your school e-mail, which they would send the license info to. It's not as simple as having a non-commercial version, like Nuke has.

http://www.autodesk.com/education/home

• Advanced Member

As

As far as I remember, they only have the EDU versions on their Academic site, and you had to list your school e-mail, which they would send the license info to. It's not as simple as having a non-commercial version, like Nuke has.

http://www.autodesk.com/education/home

might've changed but last year i registered with a gmail address.. couldn't get to my old uni account.

Edited by Aleksey