3DCoat Forums

Transform/Copy Tool - Broken (sugg. for improvement)

ghib

• Advanced Member

I'm trying get get a decent workflow for paintin a skybox in 3Dcoat, so far it's not been a great experience.  My latest stumbling block is with bringing in images to aid with compositing.  If I drag and drop an image in to the 3DCoat viewport there doesn't seem to be an option for either bringing an image in as a Facture (forgive me but what the heck is a Facture?)  or into the Transform/Copy Tool.

I have to say 3DCoat is starting to feel very left behind in terms of professional workflow.  If I were Andrew I would be a little worried about the competition out there now.

I persevere with 3DCoat but I'm quite close to giving up on it altogether if I'm honest.

My suggestion would be to incorporate a more comprehensive list if you drag and drop images into 3DC.

• Advanced Member

On this topic I made a wrong assumption.  I guess at some point Materials became Smart Materials, but only one pop-up works.  The PBR Smart Materials tab works, but the Smart Materials that allows you to paint through a Material doesn't.  Is this known, or a new Bug?

What exactly is a Facture?  I can't find anything if I do a search on the docs.

• Advanced Member

Sorry mate, I don't see a link.

p.s. I'm going to refrain from typing anything more on this subject right now because I am so fed up and MAD with 3DCoat.  It's such a hindrance.

• Advanced Member

Ah thanks ajz,   bit of an obscure one that.

Just found another issue with the Transform/Copy tool.  Importing a PSD doesn't work at the moment, brings in nothing.  I'm also curious as to why you can ONLY bring in PSDs and not just any image file type.  Seems like a missed opportunity there.

• Reputable Contributor

Ah thanks ajz,   bit of an obscure one that.

Just found another issue with the Transform/Copy tool.  Importing a PSD doesn't work at the moment, brings in nothing.  I'm also curious as to why you can ONLY bring in PSDs and not just any image file type.  Seems like a missed opportunity there.

The Transform Copy tool is not the appropriate tool for "Bringing in" an image. Smart Materials are. You also have the Spline Image tool at your disposal.

• Reputable Contributor

The Transform Copy tool's closest counterpart in Photoshop is the Free Transform tool. Basically handling 3 steps (Select > Copy > Transform) in 1 tool. In Photoshop you have to use a selection marquee > CTRL + C > CTRL +T. 

If you want 3D Coat to "Keep up with the Competition" use the Smart Materials pallet. :)

• Advanced Member

Thanks for those links ABN.  The thing that is confusing in 3DCoat is that it's all over the place.  For example in the Popups menu why is there more than one Smart Materials panel.  I had no idea Materials turned into Smart Materials at some point and maybe it's the legacy of that which resulted in multiple menu items.I was expecting to press the doppelganger and get an alternative panel which was the OLD Materials tab.

When I said 'keep up with the competition'  I really meant to keep on top of legacy bugs that continuously creep back into 3DC.  For instance the Transform/Copy tool bug that I posted earlier was actually a really old legacy bug that I reported YEARS ago.  It was fixed and somehow it's back in.

At my previous workplace I didn't have much need for the tool or even to apply a decal or image so I have been getting frustrated with small bugs like this that don't seem to be kept on top of.

The QA should be a process from beginning to end of development.  Is there an internal testing dept that they have at Pilgway or are we part of that process?

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for those links ABN.  The thing that is confusing in 3DCoat is that it's all over the place.  For example in the Popups menu why is there more than one Smart Materials panel.  I had no idea Materials turned into Smart Materials at some point and maybe it's the legacy of that which resulted in multiple menu items.I was expecting to press the doppelganger and get an alternative panel which was the OLD Materials tab.

When I said 'keep up with the competition'  I really meant to keep on top of legacy bugs that continuously creep back into 3DC.  For instance the Transform/Copy tool bug that I posted earlier was actually a really old legacy bug that I reported YEARS ago.  It was fixed and somehow it's back in.

At my previous workplace I didn't have much need for the tool or even to apply a decal or image so I have been getting frustrated with small bugs like this that don't seem to be kept on top of.

The QA should be a process from beginning to end of development.  Is there an internal testing dept that they have at Pilgway or are we part of that process?

We all let Andrew know when we run across any bugs, but as you know, there isn't any 3D Software that is void of bugs. I noticed a small one...don't know that I'd call it a bug, though, just a limitation that shouldn't be there...the other day, and promptly let Andrew know about it. It was the muscles tool. It had some kind of arbitrary limit, no matter how small the radius was. It used to be an exceptional tool for sculpting hair, but not so much with the arbitrary limit. All contributors and regular users do constantly report bugs we run into and Andrew has been pretty responsive.

You do realize Andrew is being pulled in about 50 different directions on any given day, and even though he has added some additional staff, but he still handles the bugs and bulk of the new features,