3DCoat Forums

Houdini 15.5 Indie, now with external Rendering support

cmivfx only give their authors 40%, they do not pay anything up front, also they use the tutorials to pay people to do marketing, ( authors get nothing from this). and the guy who is in charge sounds like a used care salesman from the 90s. convincing me that the reason they charge 60% is because their delivery system prevents piracy and costs a lot to keep it up.

And they also try to bullshit you into believe that by preventing you from selling your training on other sites, because: "they tried it, trust me, and it just always results in less sales"

so while im sure some of the authors make great training, i would not support cmiVFX.

Oh wow, it's only 40%? Thanks for telling us, because I didn't know that at all. Honestly, I do like the Rohan Dalvi and the GumRoad approach. As far as I know, selling something on gumroad is less than 5% of the final cost. I think we should all support platforms that work out the best for the artists, because there is way too much of this happening. 

• Reputable Contributor

I was just on Rohan's website (mentioned earlier in the thread), check out this crazy advanced modeling course.

http://www.rohandalvi.net/advmodeling

Nice find. Thanks. :good: Man, I'm in a real bind, now. Was planning on moving to Blender recently....I really like that I can leverage my graphic cards to render, via Cycles and I have a license of Thea for it, too (which is a GPU/CPU hybrid), and then I bought the HardOps + Asset Management plugin for it. It's hard learning two CG apps, so I will have to pick one. Will probably end up going with Houdini Indie + Octane

Although I like Blender, you really have to appreciate what SideFX is offering. I've Houdini Indie with Octane and they work nicely together. Just remember that there are some limitations with scene export and 1080 animation renders. Now I'm just waiting for them to update the Octane 3.0 Houdini plugin...

• Advanced Member

Oh wow, it's only 40%? Thanks for telling us, because I didn't know that at all. Honestly, I do like the Rohan Dalvi and the GumRoad approach. As far as I know, selling something on gumroad is less than 5% of the final cost. I think we should all support platforms that work out the best for the artists, because there is way too much of this happening. 

Yup def go with gumroad and his site directly.

Can't really compare turbosquid to cmivfx. Turbosquid is a marketplace. cmivfx is not.

If you want to see for yourself first hand, why the site turns my stomache. Email them and ask about making some tutorials for them. Ask about their numbers. Or when their site is being updated :D

• Reputable Contributor

Can't really compare turbosquid to cmivfx. Turbosquid is a marketplace. cmivfx is not.

If you want to see for yourself first hand, why the site turns my stomache. Email them and ask about making some tutorials for them. Ask about their numbers. Or when their site is being updated :D

I'll take your word for it. :) At $300 upfront, I was probably just going to look elsewhere. It seems Digital Tutors does have a little more than I previously thought, on Houdini...

http://www.digitaltutors.com/software/Houdini-tutorials-all

It looks like I'm not going to buy tutorials from them anymore until they decide to pay their artists fairly. Also, if anyone else knows any other good Houdini tutorials, please post them here. 

• Reputable Contributor

It looks like I'm not going to buy tutorials from them anymore until they decide to pay their artists fairly. Also, if anyone else knows any other good Houdini tutorials, please post them here. 

It sucks for sure, but boycotting them is sort of a double-edged sword. Hurting their business also hurts the artists who have invested all their precious time and hard work to create the titles that are already there. And since there are some really good training titles there, that you might not find anywhere else (like the Motion Graphics series....I haven't seen anything like those elsewhere)....you could be hurting yourself.

I don't think I will be spending the $300 upfront (who knows if that gets fairly distributed), but I just might have to buy a few titles here and there. I do suspect overall training for Houdini will grow substantially, as more and more former 3ds Max, XSI and Maya users migrate there. Hopefully, the 3rd party plugin community will grow rapidly, as well.

On 5/25/2016 at 10:27 PM, AbnRanger said:

It sucks for sure, but boycotting them is sort of a double-edged sword. Hurting their business also hurts the artists who have invested all their precious time and hard work to create the titles that are already there. And since there are some really good training titles there, that you might not find anywhere else (like the Motion Graphics series....I haven't seen anything like those elsewhere)....you could be hurting yourself.

I don't think I will be spending the $300 upfront (who knows if that gets fairly distributed), but I just might have to buy a few titles here and there. I do suspect overall training for Houdini will grow substantially, as more and more former 3ds Max, XSI and Maya users migrate there. Hopefully, the 3rd party plugin community will grow rapidly, as well.

I completely understand what you mean, and I have used pretty much every major tutorial service except Lynda. I bought 14 or so courses altogether from CMIVFX, mostly for Houdini and Fusion. Some are better than others but this is quite common across the board. Honestly though, I think that the platform owner taking 60% is way too much. Even Apple and Google take about 30%. I would much rather prefer that those artists sell directly to us, and then their hard work will be rewarded.  

There's been an increase in platforms which take a HUGE cut (most stock video sites), or make people work for free (99designs) for the "chance" to get paid. Although I can't stop artists from making those deals, they should know that it's also possible to sell on their own. 

• Contributor

Yes and it works just great with mantra and Octane for Houdini.

Also managed to prepare the asset in Houdini and send it to unity with the substance allready setup in Houdini.

3 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Yes and it works just great with mantra and Octane for Houdini.

Also managed to prepare the asset in Houdini and send it to unity with the substance allready setup in Houdini.

That sounds amazing. Do you have to do anything special within Octane? As in, what's the process like to get the substance to render within Octane? 

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yes you must

1) Create a Shop network  (On this shop network you can load multiple substance nodes it doesnt matter)

2) In there add a substance (Tab Substance , its a node)

3) Load the substance

4) On your model give a material and select the Shopnetwork to get the substance (alternative is to go object / material and assign the Shop there)

5) Dont forget to put uv or unwrap or it wont show up.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

45 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Yes you must

1) Create a Shop network  (On this shop network you can load multiple substance nodes it doesnt matter)

2) In there add a substance (Tab Substance , its a node)

3) Load the substance

4) On your model give a material and select the Shopnetwork to get the substance (alternative is to go object / material and assign the Shop there)

5) Dont forget to put uv or unwrap or it wont show up.

Thank You very much Michael. I'll try that tonight. Really excited about all the possibilities now. 

• Like 1

• Contributor

No problem , you may also want to bake the textures as well if you get any issues with Octane ( had to bake out some myself )

• Contributor

Do you guys also have a problem with how metallic channel is displayed in the viewport when you pipe in a metallic texture map to Principled shader?

Everything in the viewport turns into metallic surface.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Had some issues and i asked how you use it (remember on an old PM) , it turned out that we where using the same maps on the same slots.

At the moment no issues , but i have other little problems like some commands (modelling spesific ) not working.

When i restart Houdini they work and it appears to be a random issue.

Latest daily build fixed some by the way , try it.

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Hmm... unfortunately, the newest daily build still has the same problem with OpenGL representation of Principled shader's mapped metallic channel.

principled_metallic_opengl.jpg

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor
29 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Inverted???

I'm not sure. I don't think so.

It looks like the texture is completely ignored by the shader. Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread so I'll take my problem to SESI forums. :)

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor
30 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

On 3DC export options for Mantra i use the pbr metalness setup 

What do you use?

I use a custom Principled shader setup. It renders out correctly in Mantra. It's some problem with viewport's OpenGL shader.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

On 3DC paint room export i mean , in the new setup Andrew indrodused (where we have the export for Arlond , Unity , Unreal etc ).

• Contributor
25 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

On 3DC paint room export i mean , in the new setup Andrew indrodused (where we have the export for Arlond , Unity , Unreal etc ).

Yup, and I created my own preset for the export constructor. :)

I have this viewport problem ever since H15 with Principled shader came out.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Looks like something is going on, over on CmiVFX. I was looking for some Fusion tutorials and noticed some kind of notification of an "announcement soon." Wonder what that could be all about? Closing up shop? Dramatic change in how they charge customers and pay their instructors?

https://cmivfx.com/store