3DCoat Forums

how to get UV map from UV room onto object for baking in retopo room

Hi,

I'm doing something for production all in 3d-coat.   however now that I have my detailed sculpt I went into the UV room to make nicer UV's than the Retopo room could make. . .My problem now is that whenever I go back to the Retopo room to bake the details from my sculpt for per pixel painting in the paint room. . it bakes those details onto the retopo UV layout which is not as good as the UV room layout.   I've "applied UV's" in the retopo room and both UV maps show up in the paint room.   However in the UV room you don't see a 2nd UV map from the retopo room. . If I could see both maps I'd attempt to copy the good one over the bad one.   So why aren't these UV's syncing across the rooms?  This has  put a roadblock on my production path.

Hi Daniel!

The UV Room is not linked in any way to the Retopo Room, which is why the Retopo Room has it's own UV tools. It breaks down like this:

Paint Objects work in:

Paint Room

UV Room

Tweak Room

Retopo Objects work in:

Retopo Room

Notes on Retopo Objects:

They can be used to bake to from Paint or Sculpt Objects

Have their own UV tools (in the Retopo Room only)

So for your current project, you'll need to UV map the Retopo Object in the Retopo Room.

• Advanced Member

Hey Daniel,

What is it that the UV room does better than UV'ing in the retopo room? I only ask because I've found the toolsets to be identical and the need to enter the UV room at all is rare at best. I sort of wish 3dc would drop the UV room entirely as it seems to cause a lot of issues with people early on, but I guess it must have its uses.

I would suggest trying to do your UV operations in the retopo room, maybe there's something you're missing in that pipeline that we can help with?

If you absolutely 100% must enter the UV room and make changes, then your option is probably something like:

UV room: Alter your UV's, make sure to apply them.
Paint room: UV's are updated, so export the model out.
Retopo room: Delete your retopo mesh, import your newly exported mesh. Re-bake.

I wish the room concept would just go away entirely, at least in the current form. Customizing the tools within the "Rooms" or tabs, ala Modo makes the most sense to me. If I want to have the Paint tools available in the sculpt room, without ever going to the Paint room, then I should be able to do that.

Likewise with the multiple object panels. There is no need. A single Outline panel would do the trick for mesh objects with a little icon or something similar denoting what kind of mesh the object is.

• Contributor

What is it that the UV room does better than UV'ing in the retopo room? I only ask because I've found the toolsets to be identical and the need to enter the UV room at all is rare at best.

According to my knowledge, there are two main differences between those rooms (reg. UVs):

1. Retopo room ignores vertex normals, so all hard edges or smoothing groups of the imported retopo group are sent to oblivion once the mesh lands there.

2. I heard that the "Apply UVs" button in the UV room updates textures from the old UV set to a new - modified UV set. It kind of, rebakes them I guess. I never used it but I consider this to be a VERY important feature. I imagine that it could save the day in some situations.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Likewise with the multiple object panels. There is no need. A single Outline panel would do the trick for mesh objects with a little icon or something similar denoting what kind of mesh the object is.

I vote for a graph with nodes.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

One could put in a color code highlight the lettering of rooms as to visually see what rooms go together / work flow most of the time. Green for Paint ,UVs, and Tweak rooms a new user would see that they have something in common.  say Blue for sculpt and retopo.  Should also number them in front of there names  1,2,3  is paint ,uvs, tweak and 4,5, sculpt,retopo.  # 12 would be render room.