3DCoat Forums

GEDs sketches

GED

• Advanced Member

I tried out the 3.0 alpha for this past week in some spare time and Im loving it. Heres my first creature volumetric sculpted from one sphere, its just the basic forms so it was about 2 hours in 3D coat to make this dude. Tried to use the rendering tools too, the cast shadows seem to look good in the viewport how come they dont come up in the render?

brino.jpg

• Advanced Member

my home system( amd 3500+ 2GB 8800GT) usually gets up to about 2.5 million polys in zbrush 3 or mudbox 1 before it starts to become slower and harder to work with.

I wanted to see how far I could push voxel sculpting a character before it becomes too much for my system, I got up to 3 million triangles and didnt find it too hard to work with but there was a little lag.

heres that same character with increase resolution and a bit of sculpting and a stupid amount of detail brushes just as a test. I would normally spend alot more time and care sculpting than this lol

brino_high.jpg

• Advanced Member
my home system( amd 3500+ 2GB 8800GT) usually gets up to about 2.5 million polys in zbrush 3 or mudbox 1 before it starts to become slower and harder to work with.

I wanted to see how far I could push voxel sculpting a character before it becomes too much for my system, I got up to 3 million triangles and didnt find it too hard to work with but there was a little lag.

heres that same character with increase resolution and a bit of sculpting and a stupid amount of detail brushes just as a test. I would normally spend alot more time and care sculpting than this lol

Nice! I found sculpting at 3-4 mil was about the limit for me even on my 64 bit system. But with cuda enabled going higher seems to help. At 9 mil I was still able to work comfortably. Haven't pushed it further than that as I don't expect I'll need to. But I might try anyway once I'm done with detailing on my current piece. It's going to be very interesting to see how close to a finished piece we can get once andrew adds support for multiple voxel meshes. If display can be optimized along zbrush levels I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to do fully detailed work in voxels (on an average to decent system).

• Advanced Member

thanks wailingmonkey, this is great fun for anyone who felt limited in their creativity by traditional 3d sculpting.

I did a quick sculpt last night before bed to test out using the snake brush for some hair, about 45 mins

ninjagirl.jpg

really excited about the subtools/layers stuff coming soon :)

• Advanced Member

thanks guys, heres an experiment with the new release

Ive still got some bugs with the ctrl z undos just erasing everything from the viewport and changing the tree view but other than that its great work from Andrew.

heres a very quick test of the new subtool management, its great how the voxels seem to automatically conform to one another even on different layers...I wonder if that would be annoying with some projects though? maybe an on off switch for this feature would be useful i dont know.

I imported the kungfu dude obj from an old mudbox sculpt I did into the merge voxel menu, placed him with the transform and then dumped a sphere on his head, he doesnt look happy about this hehe

kungfuocto.jpg

• Advanced Member

thanks to Philnolan I learnt how to use the renderer and output this :)

Loving the new layers tree and the new tools it gives, gonna play with it more this weekend. Thanks Andrew, I fully intend to buy 3.0 when it comes out, this software really is helping artists to be creative and free from technical constraints.

post-1189-1229721725_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

and heres another fun mess around with the new layers tools

this jpg shows the steps, I just started from a sphere and then used snakes and spheres for the rest.

layers_steps.jpg

and heres a turntable of the model

still havent done a full project in 3D coat :P , this was just an evening of fun :)

• Advanced Member

thanks for the comments and complements :)

Ive had to remove some of the animated gifs because of my bandwidth but I might upload more here later. Im working on learning the retopology tools at the moment over a voxel sculpted creature.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

heres what Ive been working on. I did some sculpting using the new layers system, merged it all and retopod using the topology tools and then went into max and made a good uvmap then baked normal map and ambient occlusion in xnormal. Screenshots are realtime shots from xnormal, I think model is around 4000 polys. Still getting some annoying normal artifacts from xnormal or maybe from my badly retopod model haha. Anyway thanks for extending the trial days Andrew!

post-1189-1231611962_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Excellent stuff, one question though, why use Max for the uvMap, does 3DC not have UVMapping functions?

There is UVmapping tools in 3D coats retopology section. Im used to using max pelt mapping and Im quite new to 3D coat so I tried the uvmapping in 3D coat but didnt understand it. It was easier for me to use max in the end. I cant seem to select the edge seams I want in 3D coat and when Ive selected them it automatically lays out the uvs and I want to manually lay them out so that they are easier to paint on in photoshop.

when 3D coats uv tools have improved a bit and when the direct texture painting is working in 3D coat then I wont have to do all this stuff in other apps.

oh and thanks Juan, your 3D coat works really look professional.

• Advanced Member

just tried the quadrangulation on a 30 min head sculpt and its pretty good...there do seem to be ngons and tris in it down the x symetry line hmmm?

now Im looking for a tutorial on how to bake normal maps in 3D coat

post-1189-1232296974_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
*hint: turn the symmetry off AFTER the quadrangulation :)

ah thanks jokermax! I tried using this quadrangulated model for sculpting and it was really fast and easy, great way to make a complicated basemesh I reckon.

• Advanced Member

can anyone tell me how to bake a normal map from that voxel sculpted head to that quadrangulated polygon mesh? I know how to make uvs in retopo but cant seem to get the texture bake to do anything at all.