3DCoat Forums

retopo improvement

do lo

• Advanced Member

i would like to be able to autoretopo whatever is visable, not just what is clicked on at the time. also retopo in zbrushes decimation master is so much easier than 3d coats. so i just use zbrushes decimation master for finished models. 3d coat should have a decimation master like popup thats is as simple as decimation master. no need to do to retopo room every time then go back to sculpt room. for most stuff.

Edited by do lo

Sadly 3DC is not ZBrush, and ZB is not 3DC.

All your ask for feature request are to copycat features of ZBrsuh. That is not possible.

I hope in your test of 3DC trial you find a workflow that help your daily work.

But you 'll have to use ZB where you 're more comfortable.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Sadly 3DC is not ZBrush, and ZB is not 3DC.

All your ask for feature request are to copycat features of ZBrsuh. That is not possible.

I hope in your test of 3DC trial you find a workflow that help your daily work.

But you 'll have to use ZB where you 're more comfortable.

kuh i know 3d coat is not zbrush, bt that dont mean 3d coat shouldn't have the same or similar and better features as zbrush. its a cly like modeling program like zbrush, it have many of the same features as zbrush already! it was inspired by zbrush! i think 3d coat is better in many ways, but, i know and you know 3d coat can be much better and with similar features as zbrush 3d coat will be better than zbrush in all ways!! but it has to be kept up to the times in features! modo for instance was just a modeler then it included rendering, then zbrush like sculpting. i was there at modos begining and i talked directly to the programmers of mode in request forum, and i asked him about including rendering and zbrush like capabilities.. now i dont know if it was my putting the ideas into his head or he was already thinking about it, but , modo finely came out with zbrush like sculpting.. other progs copy/adapt capabilities of other program. tsplines like capabilities for example (which i also requested for 3d coat) , and sub d capabilities... the list goes on.  things get better by stepping on the shoulders of those before us. adapt , grow, prosper (hah).... if this was my software i can assure you it wold be the best software out there! (exactly what i told creators of modo. hah). i know im not talking to the creator of 3d coat and it shows in the lack of incentive to grow, because you cant do anything about it so you poo pah everything because you thik shpagin will do it if he wants. you are just a lacky, not an inovator like shpagin..let me talk to shpagin!  and only creators of 3d coat should reply to requests because only they can see if its possible or what he wants for his company! long live 3d coat and may it become the wave of the future!

• Reputable Contributor

kuh i know 3d coat is not zbrush, bt that dont mean 3d coat shouldn't have the same or similar and better features as zbrush. its a cly like modeling program like zbrush, it have many of the same features as zbrush already! it was inspired by zbrush! i think 3d coat is better in many ways, but, i know and you know 3d coat can be much better and with similar features as zbrush 3d coat will be better than zbrush in all ways!! but it has to be kept up to the times in features! modo for instance was just a modeler then it included rendering, then zbrush like sculpting. i was there at modos begining and i talked directly to the programmers of mode in request forum, and i asked him about including rendering and zbrush like capabilities.. now i dont know if it was my putting the ideas into his head or he was already thinking about it, but , modo finely came out with zbrush like sculpting.. other progs copy/adapt capabilities of other program. tsplines like capabilities for example (which i also requested for 3d coat) , and sub d capabilities... the list goes on.  things get better by stepping on the shoulders of those before us. adapt , grow, prosper (hah).... if this was my software i can assure you it wold be the best software out there! (exactly what i told creators of modo. hah). i know im not talking to the creator of 3d coat and it shows in the lack of incentive to grow, because you cant do anything about it so you poo pah everything because you thik shpagin will do it if he wants. you are just a lacky, not an inovator like shpagin..let me talk to shpagin!  and only creators of 3d coat should reply to requests because only they can see if its possible or what he wants for his company! long live 3d coat and may it become the wave of the future!

Practically every single one of your threads are criticisms of 3D Coat....what it doesn't have and how much better ZBrush is. Truth is, you don't know 3D Coat well enough to make those criticisms substantive. Most of the time, you assume 3D Coat is lacking something it actually offers.

Sure there are some things it does better than 3D Coat, but then again 2/3's of what 3D Coat does happens to be superior to ZBrush (overall Retopo tools, UV layout and texture Painting). That's why you should use both if you really need the best of both. As for your "REQUEST"....addressed as a criticism....You can Auto Retopo multiple objects at the same time. Just merge them to the same layer and 3D Coat will retopologize them all. If you want to separate them afterward, in Surface mode go to the GEOMETRY Menu > OBJECTIFY (separate).

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I would also add that if you want Andrew to add the OPTION to Auto Retpo Visible objects, you can just request it. No need to blast 3D Coat and compare what you think it doesn't have to what you think ZBrush does. Honey catches more flies than vinegar, as the saying goes.

As for having to go back and forth between the two rooms, between Auto-Retopo processes. That is not correct, either. Again, this is due to lack of experience and understanding of the app. You can use the VoxTree layer panel inside the Retopo room, as well as the Shaders panel, the same way you would in the Sculpt room. There is no need to step into the sculpt room....unless you need to modify the sculpt itself, and use one of it's tools. You can change shaders in the Retopo Room, ghost a layer, cache/uncache a layer, and invoke Auto-Retopo all inside the Retopo Room.

Once again, If you would ask first, you would not need to make a REQUEST of a feature that already exists.

• Advanced Member

oh jeez... i never ever said zbrush was better than 3d coat! ivve always said 3d coat is great but needs stuff to make it better than zbrush. i love 3d coat better than zbrush! but i use zbrush cuz somethings are easier  and better in zbrush. just like i use 3d coat when i can do it better and easier than zbrush, or blender or whatever... 3d coat rules or can rule.. right now its only a dream that 3d coat can be better than them all... i just compare zbrush becuz its the best out there, besides 3d coat which is getting there... if 3d coat makes the improvements ppl want ato make modeling easier, faster, and better,  nd not what u feel like adding...

• Reputable Contributor

oh jeez... i never ever said zbrush was better than 3d coat! ivve always said 3d coat is great but needs stuff to make it better than zbrush. i love 3d coat better than zbrush! but i use zbrush cuz somethings are easier  and better in zbrush. just like i use 3d coat when i can do it better and easier than zbrush, or blender or whatever... 3d coat rules or can rule.. right now its only a dream that 3d coat can be better than them all... i just compare zbrush becuz its the best out there, besides 3d coat which is getting there... if 3d coat makes the improvements ppl want ato make modeling easier, faster, and better,  nd not what u feel like adding...

You're missing the point. The VAST MAJORITY of what you have claimed 3D Coat is lacking, in your feature requests, it actually possesses. You just don't yet have enough experience in the app to realize it. That's why it's best to ASK FIRST. There is a way (actually 2 different methods) to do exactly what you want Auto Retopo to do. All you had to do was ASK if it was possible and/or how. We would have told you.

• Reputable Contributor

The quickest way to get Auto-Retopo to work on multiple objects at once, is to:

1) Create a new blank layer (if it must be in voxel mode, make sure there is enough resolution on the layer to hold the details)

2) RMB on the layer > MERGE VISIBLE (this creates a COPY of everything visible and merges them into that single layer)

3) RMB > Auto-Retopo

• Advanced Member

The quickest way to get Auto-Retopo to work on multiple objects at once, is to:

1) Create a new blank layer (if it must be in voxel mode, make sure there is enough resolution on the layer to hold the details)

2) RMB on the layer > MERGE VISIBLE (this creates a COPY of everything visible and merges them into that single layer)

3) RMB > Auto-Retopo

while that may be the quickest way at this time, it would be better if you could just autoretopo everything that is visible!! without have to do anything else but click the autoretopo button!

• Reputable Contributor

while that may be the quickest way at this time, it would be better if you could just autoretopo everything that is visible!! without have to do anything else but click the autoretopo button!

It is designed to Auto retopo only what you want to apply it to. If you want to apply it to everything, you were just told how to do so in 3 easy steps. You're welcome, by the way. :wink:

• Advanced Member

it works by only autoreopoing the only thing thats selected.  kind of weak. make it stronger, better..

maybe you think 3 steps is better than 1 step,  so you dont have to change 3d coat?   what hard work just to make better product huh?

its just a matter of who makes a better product. and what makes a better product.

why am i defending myself?  do or dont do... be or dont be. try or dont try.. its up to you.   if it were up to me you know which waty id choose...

• Reputable Contributor

it works by only autoreopoing the only thing thats selected.  kind of weak. make it stronger, better..

maybe you think 3 steps is better than 1 step,  so you dont have to change 3d coat?   what hard work just to make better product huh?

its just a matter of who makes a better product. and what makes a better product.

why am i defending myself?  do or dont do... be or dont be. try or dont try.. its up to you.   if it were up to me you know which waty id choose...

First you were fussing that you couldn't do it at all. Now the protest is " :angry: well, it's two small and easy steps too many!" With such a demanding request, I'm guessing Andrew will find other, more pressing things to work on. Just a guess. :good2:

• Reputable Contributor

...and just to add another point. If you had enough experience in the app, you'd understand WHY Auto-Retopo works on the selected layer/object by default rather than just everything that is visible. It's because each object will need a differing number of polygons. A belt will need a lot less than the full body of a character. Plus, you DO NOT want to try and make things more complex for an algorithm. For the best results, you need to simplify things as much as possible. An algorithm is essentially a dumb assistant. You try and give it too much to do and devine exactly where you want the topology to flow on complex shapes...as they say in New York, "Fuh-getta-bout-it!"

It can do a number of simple objects fairly well, like buttons, teeth, horns, etc. But, trying to throw an entire weapon or spaceship at it and expect 3D Coat to have a magic "make pretty geometry for everything" button ain't gonna happen....not even in ZBrush.

• Advanced Member

all you have to do then is retopo each one thats visable separately, sequentialy. rather than me having to do one at a time. like a automatic gun versus a single shot pistol...

• Reputable Contributor

all you have to do then is retopo each one thats visable separately, sequentialy. rather than me having to do one at a time. like a automatic gun versus a single shot pistol...

Negative. You need to tell 3D Coat how many polys you need for each part. One might need only a thousand or so. Another might need 20k+. Again, there is no "Automatically retopo everything exactly how I want it" feature. Not in 3D Coat nor in ZBrush. You will get less than ideal, if not terrible results if you try to make it do everything at once. Simple objects it can handle, but not a lot of different complex shapes all at once. You will probably get a mess, if you try. Not everything in 3D apps are one-click solutions. Some things require more steps or input from the user during the process. When you expect everything to be automated fully, then you ultimately lose a lot of creative control....by handing it off to an algorithm.

Auto Retopo was never intended and will never be a full replacement for manual retopolgy tools. Some things it can do well, and others it is far more efficient and cleaner to do yourself, manually.