3DCoat Forums

Texturing workflow

Sarichev

hey guys, im totaly new to this.

i need help with texturing workflow of my high poly sculpt scenes/models.

i dont make assets i only use it for concepting so i dont need low poly meshes and such. i create some scenes/models of about 5-30mil polys.

in order to texture i export the scene as obj and then import for pixel painting.

my problem is the import takes AGES, i dont know if im missing something or maybe i need a much better GPU.

for example just 1 character which is about 7mil polys takes an hour to import and calc AO do i need to resample to lower poly counts?

or maybe instead of sculpting details paint details on normal maps?

or perhaps retopo before i paint.

please help. have no idea what im doing image.jpeg

• Contributor

Retopo your model (well done, BTW).  Retopo will give you far fewer polygons to deal with. I reckon you were trying for vertex painting but your system can't handle it.  Balistic is using the dark theme (like me) and to read your text, I highlight it so it turns white.

Edited by Tony Nemo
  • Like 1

@Tony Nemo, @Ballistic_Tension

You could also override the text-color, by applying the following user style in your browser:

@-moz-document url-prefix("http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/") {

/* This style is required to override all user specified "richText editor" 
     text colors.

Some users, who read the forums using the light-color theme, set
     their text color in the editor to be a dark color - which is then
     either almost or completely invisible for those users who read the
     forums using the dark-color theme. 

By using this CSS override, ALL user specified colors in all posts,
     are reset to "light gray" so that they are readable using the dark
     forum-theme.

*/

/* Topic View, Message text */
  .ipsType_richText > p {
    color: #C3C3C3 !important;
  }

}

Edited by AgentSam
  • Like 1

Font Color ok now?

about the retopo - do I need to manually retopo or auto? When I tried to do an auto the smart materials don't work anymore, maybe because the topology is screwed up.

if I do it manually it's kind of the same time cost no? I mean for a highly detailed model it will take hours, basically same hours I'm waiting for 3D coat to load and retopo by itself.

can you give me some tips/pointers perhaps on how I should retopo , perhaps I need to plan the sculpt and separate it from the beginning?

im asking because I'm not interested in doing assets but I use it for concepting, I need the process to be fast otherwise it's easier for me to 2d paint than to invest in 3D base.

thanks a lot,

sergei

• Reputable Contributor
11 minutes ago, Sarichev said:

Font Color ok now?

about the retopo - do I need to manually retopo or auto? When I tried to do an auto the smart materials don't work anymore, maybe because the topology is screwed up.

if I do it manually it's kind of the same time cost no? I mean for a highly detailed model it will take hours, basically same hours I'm waiting for 3D coat to load and retopo by itself.

can you give me some tips/pointers perhaps on how I should retopo , perhaps I need to plan the sculpt and separate it from the beginning?

im asking because I'm not interested in doing assets but I use it for concepting, I need the process to be fast otherwise it's easier for me to 2d paint than to invest in 3D base.

thanks a lot,

sergei

I think you are going about it all wrong, but it's understandable as the structure of 3D Coat's different "Rooms" can seem confusing to new users. You don't have to do any exporting of you high poly sculpt an import it into the Paint room. It's not designed  to handle really dense poly counts like the Sculpt room. However, whatever object you have in the Sculpt room, 3D Coat can paint directly onto the Vertices of the model, using the Paint Room tools. Rather than clutter the Sculpt Room with mirrored paint tools, it just shares the Paint Room's tools/layers.

It may be confusing, but that is what happens when users ask for "options."

Thanks a lot,

I did try to just click into paint room and paint but the smart materials look completely different/ much worse , not sure why that is. Also if I do call AO it doesn't seem to do anything.

i started to do those exports/imports because of that. I was thinking that maybe because when I import 3D coat generates some arbitrary uv mapping and that's why it conforms and looks better.

just an example, smart material that has edge fall offs or any other effect doesn't seem to work if I just click in paint room and when I'm importing it does.

makes any sense at all? I'm really confused but trying to make it work

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Sarichev said:

Thanks a lot,

I did try to just click into paint room and paint but the smart materials look completely different/ much worse , not sure why that is. Also if I do call AO it doesn't seem to do anything.

i started to do those exports/imports because of that. I was thinking that maybe because when I import 3D coat generates some arbitrary uv mapping and that's why it conforms and looks better.

just an example, smart material that has edge fall offs or any other effect doesn't seem to work if I just click in paint room and when I'm importing it does.

makes any sense at all? I'm really confused but trying to make it work

Some of the smart materials may look pretty rough, but it could be a matter of scaling the image in the preview options panel. It's the little magnifying glass icon. If it's scaled too small for your object, you might not see much detail. It's really hard diagnosing things like this without seeing what is going on in the scene. Sometimes it is just a small thing like not having all your channels enabled. We can't see that on our end. We're flying blind cause we have no visuals to inform us with.

You can upload a screen grab to share just by hitting the ALT + SHIFT + S keyboard combo

thanks man,

i attached several screenshots, same models but just clicked into paint room no import: 2.jpeg

forged metal smart material & old paint smart material how the look without import (completely different from when importing)

also when applied they are covering flat, doesnt even look as the preview window but just flat  color.

i used very same materials (not only those but its enough to compare) in texturing the above pic. attached also just for comaprison - astros1.jpeg

2.jpg

astros1.jpg

• 2 months later...