3DCoat Forums

Can I create a normal or height map from the albedo map

michaelws

I have an imported obj of a turtle I made in Blender.  I have the beginnings of the texture or albedo map on it.  Is there a way to work with this texture map to create a normal or height or bump map?  I want to draw over the lines between the scales of the turtle so that they are recessed.  That would be the white lines on the top of the turtle shell and the black lines under it on the belly and the fins.

Can this be done this way maybe using a layer or must I somehow generate a normal map from the texture map and then smooth out the areas where I don't want any height or bump information?

Thanks for any assistance with this.

ColorMap.jpg

You've tried Awesome Bump ?

AwesomeBump 4.0 is a free and open source program designed to generate normal, height, specular or ambient occlusion, roughness and metallic textures from a single image. Since the image processing is done in 99% on GPU  the program runs very fast and all the parameters can be changed in real time. AB was made to be a new alternative to known gimp plugin called Insane Bump. Since version 3.0 AB is supporting PBR shading model which makes this software more Awesome! Since 4.0 Grunge maps are available.

• Contributor

An albedo/color map will not provide accurate displacement information. In 3D-Coat, any displacement you create in the model as a sculpt will allow the creation of very accurate displacement maps (or normal maps).

You can, however, make stencils from the color map to use in the sculpt room to create true deformations like scales or other repeated uses.

Edited by Tony Nemo

Thanks for the reply Tony.  Guess that will be a bit down the road for me as I am only using 3D coat right now to paint with.  And I love it for that.  I am a novice when it comes to shaders and PBR and such.  But I will, over time, learn the rest of this amazing piece of software.  Thanks again for taking the time to reply.