3DCoat Forums

Using Vox Extrude causes layer to switch from V > S mode ?

bododge

Everytime I use the vox extrude tool my voxel mesh changes to a surface. This makes no sense to me since the tool is called vox extrude. Once it changes to surface mode, I can carry on using the vox extrude with expected results. However then I need to change back to voxel mode for most things, the process gets annoying. Am I missing some cavaet or is this a bug? I even reset my key commands for fear I had screwed something up...(didn't help)

I am on a Mac using 10.10.5,  using latest version of 3D Coat 4.5.40

Thoughts?

• Reputable Contributor

I didn't know it was changed, either, but after testing it, I can see why it was done the way it is. Surface mode has dynamic tessellation and if you turn wireframe on, you can see where it tessellated more along the edges so you get a super crisp result. Somebody probably complained about the way it was and got Andrew to change it....without us even knowing it.

I am new to 3D coat but that is a frustrating revelation. A tool with vox should probably not convert with out some dialogue or switch box. I can appreciate the quality that mesh provides but either rename the tool or there should be a toolbar option to toggle that feature on or off. Are there other times when 3DC will need to automatically convert the mesh V & S or vice versa?