3DCoat Forums

Steampunk Octo-Sub

Jfredd

Here goes my entry for this contest! I really love 3d-coat's retopo and texturing toolset, but I haven't used the Sculpt room very much until now. With this entry, I aim to catch that room up to the others! 
So here's my concept silhouette for this vehicle... I imagine it would have two modes - a stationary "working" mode, and a propulsion mode - like how a real octopus functions.concept-sil.jpg

And a rough block out - I aim to do as much of it in 3d-coat as I can.

octo-block-out.jpg

It's so exciting to start rough on these ideas and then flesh out all of the details as things progress! Good luck to everyone! I can't wait to see all of the awesomeness that comes out of this competition!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

That's pretty cool, kind of reminds me of the "squiddies" in The Matrix.

:DHaha yah! I'll definitely have to go back and watch it for some inspirado while I'm working on this. A steampunk version of The Matrix would be kindof awesome...

Pressing Onward...  the cockpit shape of the concept felt a little bit plain, so I've given it a more organic shape that should be fun to detail...

I've also included some more blocked in detail of the cockpit... the seat is set up in a gyroscopic frame so that the driver can stay upright when the vehicle switches modes.

octo-block-out-2.jpg

• Like 2

Got the dirigible underbelly fleshed out tonight as well as the main form of the syphon(s).... I also spent a little bit of time in the 3d-coat render room before calling it a night.. Another aspect of 3d-coat I've had very little experience in up to this point...
octo_sub_render.png

• Like 1