3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

• Advanced Member

Not sure if this is fixed  in latest build . I am using 4.7.01 DX64   win 8.1       In paint room > shaders>  add new  then when I try to rename it = crash.   Also if I add new  then add new shader name it = crash  .  I did import a model  in to ppp not sure if that matters. thanks.

• Contributor

I have encountered two serious bugs in Pose tool with Conform Retopo Mesh flag active.

First bug is that when you have multiple retopo VoxTree layers and retopo groups corresponding to each other, if you take pose tool and make a selection on voxtree layer A, then select geometry on layer B and C, and try to pose them, parts of each of the corresponding retopo groups will transform with those layers, but the other parts will stay in place.

The other bug I found when I tried to find a workaround for the issue above. I merged voxtree layers B and C without bolleans to layer A and attempted to pose voxtree layer A. This resulted in corresponding retopo groups offseting from the highres mesh.

I will try to document it with videos as best as I can, and send it directly to support.

Erm, I think it was me forgetting to turn on Through All Volumes, to pose also those volumes which had their geometry selected with the pose tool, but weren't selected in the voxtree. Because of that, some vertices of retopo groups were snapping to highres geometry that didn't deform along with the other parts...

I realized that after watching a video that I have just recorded for the purpose of sending it to support. :D

eLC8ZaI.jpg

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member
On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:00 AM, AbnRanger said:

Anybody else having issues with 3D Coat crashing when you've left it open/running > take a break and come back to it (clicking on the minimized instance)? It's happened to me at least 4-5 times this past week, regardless of what scene I had opened.

Also, has anyone noticed that 4.7 beta has a nasty problem selecting UV islands that aren't even selected/visible?

146699989411.jpg

Same here regarding the minimized window. Sent a lot of crash info to the support. Hope they fix it.

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, dimitribastos said:

Same here regarding the minimized window. Sent a lot of crash info to the support. Hope they fix it.

Yeah, it seemed to stop doing it since I installed 4.7.06, and it didn't seem to happen with the OpenGL version.

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, AbnRanger said:

Yeah, it seemed to stop doing it since I installed 4.7.06, and it didn't seem to happen with the OpenGL version.

Can't find the 4.7.06 Windows download. :(

• Reputable Contributor
15 minutes ago, dimitribastos said:

Can't find the 4.7.06 Windows download. :(

I don't know why Andrew didn't put 4.7.06 in the normal install folder, but it is available from the main page > Downloads:

http://3dcoat.com/download/

He and most others in Pilgway went on vacation right after the release, so they were probably in a hurry. :D

• Like 1

On 7/12/2016 at 4:03 AM, dimitribastos said:

This is great! Thank you! :)

My pleasure. BTW Andrew is on vacation for a spell, so it probably wont happen until he returns. 

• Advanced Member

I am on 4.7.01 DX   in paint room  with all channels on when I paint the bottom of any object it is not as glossy /reflective  as the rest. meaning when I rotate it to the top it should be all the same as the light is now on it. I must be missing a setting somewhere .

• Advanced Member
On 7/5/2016 at 11:50 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

What dou you mean? Color is exported with alpha channel, so I see no problem there.

Attention

Png doesn't have alpha channel when opened in photoshop. So we need it to be transparent in the rgb channel. Just please add it Andrew.
The png files always had a gray color in the transparent areas in the rgb channel which is wrong.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2016 at 6:56 PM, geo_n said:

Attention

Png doesn't have alpha channel when opened in photoshop. So we need it to be transparent in the rgb channel. Just please add it Andrew.
The png files always had a gray color in the transparent areas in the rgb channel which is wrong.

I just tested the latest build, and yes I agree. Build the Alpha right into the RGB channels as other applications do. It's an unnecessary step, especially when you're working with large scenes, teams, etc.. Pain in the butt.

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Javis said:

I just tested the latest build, and yes I agree. Build the Alpha right into the RGB channels as other applications do. It's an unnecessary step, especially when you're working with large scenes, teams, etc.. Pain in the butt.

Been that way since 3dc v3. When using png its hard to edit in pshop with that gray color everywhere, especially overlaying it on top of other graphics. The rgb should support transparency in png.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, geo_n said:

Been that way since 3dc v3. When using png its hard to edit in pshop with that gray color everywhere, especially overlaying it on top of other graphics. The rgb should support transparency in png.

Yes. It's always been a nuisance. But it was also hit or miss. Sometimes it would work correctly, other times, not. It's been really annoying to fight with the tool when it should just work as expected.

• Contributor

I have disabled Auto Snap in Retopo Room, but vertices are still getting snapped to VoxTree volumes. Check out Add Points or Quad Tool for example.

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, ajz3d said:

I have disabled Auto Snap in Retopo Room, but vertices are still getting snapped to VoxTree volumes. Check out Add Points or Quad Tool for example.

Autosnap applies to actual vertices of a mesh, rather than points from a tool like Points & Faces and Quads tool. Those are specifically designed to snap to parts of the voxel object or another vertex. They are not really for freeform poly-modeling

• Like 1

• Contributor

Ah, ok. It works with move tool.

I have another problem though. I'm trying to put some brush presets to Quick Panel, but whenever I restart 3D-Coat, numeric positions on this panel revert  to whatever tools were assigned to it before the change that I made.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Today a strange thing happened. I was sculpting character's boots and had visibility of all other layers turned off. At one point I decided to see how the boots looked on the character, so I turned on visibility of all VoxTree volumes and what I noticed is that all layers that had been hidden, got their geometry reduced to a very low resolution. It looked almost like if they were in proxy mode, but of course they weren't.

I have used proxy mode for the boots a couple of times, but not on other objects during that sculpting session.

I also performed a single Merge Visible operation on all volumes that constitute my boot, in order to fuse all of them into one surface. I needed it only for preview purposes and ease-of management. The operation took several minutes to complete and ended with a 32M voxel mesh. I then converted the boot back to surface mode and decimated it way below 1M. This, I think, was the last action I carried out before turning the visibility of all objects on again and noticing the problem.

Naturally the only way of restoring affected volumes now is to load them from a previous incremental save.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Upon further investigation, I cannot exclude the possibility of me making a mistake in ZBrush and exporting lower resolution of my meshes with SubTool Master. HOWEVER, some of the affected volumes had a colour icon (to the far side of their VoxTree name) indicating that they were once in surface mode and held vertex paint information, but they got converted into voxels. But all of those layers were in surface mode and I have never converted them to voxels. So even if I happened to make a mistake of importing lower res meshes to 3D-Coat, still something strange has happened on 3D-Coat's side. I used OBJ format to transfer my meshes between ZBrush and 3D-Coat, but IIRC vertex colour is not supported in orthodox .obj implementation. Could it be that it somehow got transferred nonetheless, even if I didn't do any polypaint in ZBrush?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Had exactly the same problem today. Went back to the sculpt room and everything other than the main sculpt layer I was working on had disappeared.  Layer name was there, but no content. Had to go back to a previous version, export to obj and bring them back in as voxel mesh.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
21 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Happened to me as well on high voxel count and many hidden items.

Shit... that will be it. High voxl sculpt here too. With all other layers hidden.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, wave of light said:

Shit... that will be it. High voxl sculpt here too. With all other layers hidden.

Please email Andrew about this. He asked if the app was stable enough to go away to his laboratory (so to speak) and work on some heavy, time-consuming things (probably layer masks). I caught a bug with the Freeze tool, randomly causing patches of the mask to disappear. This sounds like one he needs to squash before he starts on that. 

• Advanced Member

Hi,

Yeah, I will email him with the details.

On a side note... QuadStrips, they are not visible.  I see the red dotted line being drawn across my sculpt, but no resulting polystrip. I obviously understand that that is a BETA tool, but has anyone else had this issue (I know of one other user who has experienced this problem).

Regards,
Ricky.

EDIT - For reference, here are pics of the issue and having to go back to an older save to export and reimport (using save model to obj/lwo).

6 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Please email Andrew about this. He asked if the app was stable enough to go away to his laboratory (so to speak) and work on some heavy, time-consuming things (probably layer masks). I caught a bug with the Freeze tool, randomly causing patches of the mask to disappear. This sounds like one he needs to squash before he starts on that. 

3dc_Slimer_Broken_NoTeeth.jpg

3dc_Slimer_Broken_Revert.jpg

Edited by wave of light

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Tony Nemo said:

" QuadStrips, they are not visible " because the button is a placeholder for the future tool ((next Beta?). Everybody get the same result you do.

Thanks Tony. Obvoiusly I understood that they were beta tools, but I didn't know if it was just a problem me and a colleague were having. Having seen the Raul vids, I didn't know if the stuff he was showing was included in the latest release.

Thanks anyway.

Ricky.

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic