3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

I'm also liking the Smart Material Layers, nice work Andrew. :) One thing I would like to see, and this would make it a lot more intuitive, is that when you click or double click the Smart Material icon that's attached to a layer, that it brings up the Smart Material Editor for the material icon that you click.

Also, like Dimitri said, the fill by mask option is really not apparent. I know what it's supposed to do in theory, but something seems missing.

Further, there's a long standing big with the Fill Tool when using a gradient; The nodes of the gradient are not visible and impossible to place accurately. Could you please fix this Andrew?

Thanks again! Looking forward to seeing this new SM Layer system evolving. :)

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Beta version 4.7.27 both dx and OpenGL.

In the Render room, the light on the model just keeps rapidly flashing with Real time render selected.  I am using 3DC hardware and not renderman. 

Anyone else seeing this problem.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

The Attach material to layers is a nice feature, thank you a lot.

Only one downside I'm noticing and I'd like to be confirmed (and solved) is: if you select a layer with a smart material attached, 3DC seems to select that material (or the first one in my case) in the Smart materials windows. So when you go to another layer with no material and you want to paint, you'll start to paint with the attached material, so you are "forced" to push the CLOSE button in smart materials window in order to paint without the attached material.

In other words, if I select a layer with attached material, I expect to paint with that material.

If I select another layer with no material, I expect to paint normally, not with the attached material of the previous selected layer.

Can you confirm this, please?

6 minutes ago, thinkinmonkey said:

The Attach material to layers is a nice feature, thank you a lot.

Only one downside I'm noticing and I'd like to be confirmed (and solved) is: if you select a layer with a smart material attached, 3DC seems to select that material (or the first one in my case) in the Smart materials windows. So when you go to another layer with no material and you want to paint, you'll start to paint with the attached material, so you are "forced" to push the CLOSE button in smart materials window in order to paint without the attached material.

In other words, if I select a layer with attached material, I expect to paint with that material.

If I select another layer with no material, I expect to paint normally, not with the attached material of the previous selected layer.

Can you confirm this, please?

Will this be more correct:

1) If you selected layer with attached material and then selected other layer then no materail will be active

2) If material is active but not attached - it will remain when you select new layer.

?

• Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Will this be more correct:

1) If you selected layer with attached material and then selected other layer then no materail will be active

2) If material is active but not attached - it will remain when you select new layer.

?

Mmm...

1) <<If you selected layer with attached material and then selected other layer >> the attached material will be on

2) of course

Ok, let's try with a short video: https://youtu.be/Bpr9dwstT_w

• Advanced Member

possibility to render scene directly in Renderman

!!!! This seems to have just been mentioned as an afterthought?  

Is not this big news... 

How does one go about this? I have looked in the render room and there is a nice little option for Renderman ,but as I dont have it ,nothing happens obviously.  It is available free on the Renderman site so that bit is easy enough.

If I download it will it just work and be amazing or is that wishfull thinking. Will we have to do lots of node shannanigans to get it to work.

I'm tempted to just dive in and have a look,but just wondering why the announcement was literally just one line in the update list when it seems like quite a big thing.

• Contributor

Many thanks for the History , helps a lot 

Color blending is not written in the history for example , cant copy paste or replicate correctly with out taking all layers option on the history.

Also copy paste history from one layer to another will solve any  issues with materials becoming active and first in history stack when selected  , as it confuses users a bit.

Funny is that i was using this exact method on paper to be able to paint other models same as previous.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Advanced Member
25 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I mean: Will it be more correct if I will make it to work in this way:

Ah, ok, sorry for that, Andrew, my bad, I didn't get you were asking for a solution.

Yeap, I was expecting the number 1.

About number 2, of course: if I select a material, I attach the material to a layer, I create a new layer, I select the new layer, I start to paint the new layer, I will paint with the material on the new layer because it's still active since the beginning. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you for your time.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, digman said:

Beta version 4.7.27 both dx and OpenGL.

In the Render room, the light on the model just keeps rapidly flashing with Real time render selected.  I am using 3DC hardware and not renderman. 

Anyone else seeing this problem.

Please test this... This happens in the viewport in the render room when "real time render is selected". Now if I press Render for an image that works, so the problem is in the render room viewport... I need to know if others are having this problem, to know if it is a bug or all on my end...

Edited by digman

• Contributor
1 hour ago, digman said:

Please test this... This happens in the viewport in the render room when "real time render is selected". Now if I press Render for an image that works, so the problem is in the render room viewport... I need to know if others are having this problem, to know if it is a bug or all on my end...

It works OK on my end. Have you tried 3D-Coat with "factory" settings?

• Contributor
2 hours ago, digman said:

Solution : Add a new keyboard along with the GTX 1080 ;) 

Works on my end as well.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for checking and posting. I will look on my end. Do not think it is a key stuck as 4.7.26 was no problem... 

Update the video drivers first and a clean install if necessary.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, thinkinmonkey said:

Ah, ok, sorry for that, Andrew, my bad, I didn't get you were asking for a solution.

Yeap, I was expecting the number 1.

About number 2, of course: if I select a material, I attach the material to a layer, I create a new layer, I select the new layer, I start to paint the new layer, I will paint with the material on the new layer because it's still active since the beginning. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you for your time.

8 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I mean: Will it be more correct if I will make it to work in this way:

I'm also expecting #1.

Andrew, I have another request from a user at our studio, regarding the Fill Tool gradient mode related to the gradient nodes. It would be great if we could have multiple nodes on the gradient, like in other tools such as PS, where we can specify the color and alpha/trans of each node. Here's a screenshot:

gradient-editor.png?1334039363

• Like 1

Also, now that you have made a smart material layer, is it possible to have other kinds of layers that are also non-destructive? A tweakable gradient layer, procedural noise layer, etc.?

With a great feature, come 10 more feature requests. ;)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I like the kind of workflow this opens up.

I am noticing a weird discrepancy between attached and unattached.
Left: Smart Material attached to layer
Right: Smart Material not attached to layer

When its attached to a layer, there also seems to be some banding issues. This is especially noticeable with that particular smart material.

vUvV6ii.jpg

Edited by RabenWulf

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, digman said:

Thanks for checking and posting. I will look on my end. Do not think it is a key stuck as 4.7.26 was no problem... 

Update the video drivers first and a clean install if necessary.

Here again. Test this... Under the camera tab select "Background / Lock Environment".  The Lights on the model go crazy when it is locked. Mine was locked and when I deselected it, the Rendering in the render room returned to normal. 

Will wait before installing video drivers... 

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Adding to the idea of Javis, one thing I would like to see, and this would make it a lot more intuitive is to use the same system as Keyshot.

To assign materials to models, drag and drop them from the library onto a part in the realtime window. This will show a preview of what parts that material will be assigned to. The material will not be assigned until the user lets go of the left mouse button.

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor

Beta version 4.7.27. 

Another possible UI bug.

Choose the Pose tool. Click on the Edit Pose Falloff. Adjust the control points on the curve. The Main UI will start to glitch. You will get flashing of the UI, movement of panels, panels not opened will appear for a second then go away. I have not tested other tools that have panels. This UI glitch reminds me of the one in the paint room when you open the smart material sub-editor in a Smart Material layer. Adjusting the curve in the panel will glitch too, same problem.  The paint room glitch has been around for several betas.

This is a beta so problems are expected. These do need addressing as it makes it hard to test the betas as the main UI keeps glitching up.

Edited by digman

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic