3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

• Contributor

Any progress on the Linux builds?

I can understand that things take time, but checking every so often here just to see if there's a build it's getting tiresome. And then, one could miss the long awaited build if sayed out for months. So knowing if something is moving would be appreciated.

It's a pity Linux uses can't test as much or get new beta tools to tinker with. It feels like there's no proper system in place to adapt and compile Linux builds, as if there was some sort of part-time off-site job. It doesn't look as a priority for sure to keep all versions on par.

I can understand that while trying new tools, and refining them, having to re-compile over and over again for a different platform would seem a waste of time. But we also pay for the license, and one would think that end users won't find that a waste at all. Not to mention the possibility of some Linux specific bugs appearing so much later; that would amount to even more wasted time (for the users mainly). Surely there could be a compromise in the "waste" of developers vs users' time.

I'm trying to make a point to justify my question, but not to sound harsh or impatient. I hope I didn't fail completely. :-)

Edited by Allabulle

• Contributor

Great!

Thanks for taking the time to answer here. I know things are hard and look simpler from afar.

I'll check back in a few days.

If there's something we can do to ease the process feel free to ask.

Thanks again.

Edited by Allabulle

• Advanced Member

Nice update ! It seems that the gradient works damn faster now =D

Another issue I guess you've seen, is when you paint with some smartmaterials, attached on your layer, stroke over stroke does not work fine. But it depends on which material you use. For example I tried with the pink plastic one ( default profided into plastic's folder ) and I didn't get any issue.

Another one, on the tileplane this time. When you bake a curvature it goes full white, which is not accurate as long as the plane is not a sharp edge itself, I expected the curvature to be a "neutral grey". The issue that it leads to is that you can no longer use any smartmaterials properly on the tileplane until you've get your curvature good. I know it's not that useful and does not happen often ( honnestly I would never do that but it was someone at work who asked why it doesn't work as he expected ^^" I would'nt blame you guys if you do not plan to fix it ^^ )

And last thing, is a feature that allows to "bake" a smartmaterial on tileable PBR maps qith somthing like the export constructor ( if not that one cause it's just a perfect tool ), it might be tricky I guess. The point is that sometimes you get some good feeling on a smartmaterial but with way too much tweaks, layers and maps into it, and you can't extract what you've done to take it into, for example unreal or unity to roughly texture some environment assets. ( If that's already possible please let me know =) )

• Advanced Member

I think I encountered a bug.  Can someone confirm.  

I can't drop a voxel layer to become a child of another layer.  Normally I could drag it from the layer's move icon, and drag it to another layers '+' icon and it would become a child of that layer...but haven't gotten it to work in 4.7.35

• Advanced Member

Yup =) And it's super cool now we can go at every point of view of the model, it was not a pain before but it's a fresh feature =)

Edited by Vexod14

• Reputable Contributor
19 hours ago, gbball said:

I think I encountered a bug.  Can someone confirm.  

I can't drop a voxel layer to become a child of another layer.  Normally I could drag it from the layer's move icon, and drag it to another layers '+' icon and it would become a child of that layer...but haven't gotten it to work in 4.7.35

I just tested and it seems to be working ok on my end

4.7.35 3DC beta version, Windows 64 bit. 

• Advanced Member

I tried it again and I see what's happening.

I closed my voxtree window, and set it to pop up with keypress (alt+v in my case).  It doesn't work in that situation.  Only if the voxtree window is docked or permanently opened does it work properly.

Can someone confirm?  I like keeping my screen as clean as possible recently and I've set most of my window to pop up with a keypress so I don't know if it was an issue in earlier versions.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, gbball said:

I tried it again and I see what's happening.

I closed my voxtree window, and set it to pop up with keypress (alt+v in my case).  It doesn't work in that situation.  Only if the voxtree window is docked or permanently opened does it work properly.

Can someone confirm?  I like keeping my screen as clean as possible recently and I've set most of my window to pop up with a keypress so I don't know if it was an issue in earlier versions.

I confirm the problem. Here though is something interesting, if I resize the floating panel once open a little larger or smaller it starts working again. Might give a clue where the bug is...

Also it seems if I make the panel a larger size it works when re-opening the panel. No resizing needed.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Sorry misinformation, but Painting past UV Shells/Bleeding is still open.

So when I read this morning " The following issue has been RESOLVED. " and I started to cry for happiness... it was for nothing?

You are so cruel! :D

Hoping you'll fix that... for reeeeaaaallll!!!!

Looks like the gradient issues are all fixed. Thanks Andrew!

6 hours ago, thinkinmonkey said:

So when I read this morning " The following issue has been RESOLVED. " and I started to cry for happiness... it was for nothing?

You are so cruel! :D

Hoping you'll fix that... for reeeeaaaallll!!!!

No kidding! I got that email and was excited to see it. Bummer.

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin
VoxRay tool feels very powerful. How do you feel about making it work in the background to allow us to sculpt while the tool is active? It seems to be perfect for this kind of task because it is so easy to hide/unhide parts of the model above or below the "hide plane" just by transforming the gizmo. It could be perfect for mouth cavity sculpting and other similar stuff. VoxHide, Cell and SurfHide require more time to perform the selection, and you need to redo this action even if you want shift the hidden parts only a bit in any direction. With VoxRay, you just drag the manipulator and that's it.

I see great potential in this tool.

Huge issue for me in the latest build 7.35

Smart Material Preview window is no longer working in real time. It requires a movement or window refresh.

This means it is now impossible to see what you are doing when moving sliders to create materials.

Therefore it is now impossible to create materials, and the whole PBR section of 3DCoat is broken at its core.

Since this is the only part of the program I bought it for I would like confirmation of this bug.

I upgraded from 7.29 hoping to fix a constant crash when I tried to merge layers.

Edited by Karnonos
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

I got that issue too, but If you want to play with PBR goods of 3DCoat you can still use the 4.7.24 build which is stable. You won't have many cool new features but none of them really improve the way you create and tweak a new smartmaterial. Below the 4.7.24 it's still stable but you'll miss the new curvature system. Well, it's just a strong build to do what you want I think ;)

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic