3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, RabenWulf said:

I hope the current folder/drop list is just a temporary measure, as it really does need to be revamped.

It's been an issue for a long time. It only happens if the number of folders extends to the bottom of the UI. 3D Coat freaks out because it has no instructions as to what to do when it runs out of real estate. Subfolder access could help, but even without that, there shouldn't be such craziness.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Do you have a proposal to improve it ?

I had some other bugs to report, so I deleted the config files and the Drop List issue now seems solved. The one that probably was the culprit is the OptionsWindows.xml, but I deleted almost all the config files just to be sure.

4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

0000454: Detach windows from 3DC main window

0001912: Windows dock finetunning: lock, collapse, place, floating

Any +1 is welcome :)

-------------

* I'm for an interface like maya, docking panels could be great.

Unreal Engine 4 also has a mighty UI mechanics.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

For the smart material lists in the paint room the same issue occurs in the UV Room. It is basically a global issue for any room in 3d coat where your lists extends to the bottom of the screen. If you have many UV sets and want to rename one you are blocked if the list is too long. It will cut off at the bottom of the screen and you have no way to rename UV's. Only 'fix' is to delete your models which is not a good solution really. It is the same exact issue I had in the paint room that I posted earlier:

If the list can simply be contained within the program's window space and we can scroll up and down the list that would resolve the issue I think. I do hope this bug can be fixed in a future build sooner rather than later. I feel it makes the current builds an unstable version since it blocks the user from editing certain files/names. In other words the user is limited to a certain amount of objects, smart materials, UV lists they can have until the program cannot see them in the drop down lists.

On a side note: I can't post in the feature requests section but have a lot of ideas/quality of life ideas to make certain aspects of 3D Coat more user friendly. Is there a new place we can post our suggestions/ideas?

Edited by Mystical

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, Mystical said:

For the smart material lists in the paint room the same issue occurs in the UV Room. It is basically a global issue for any room in 3d coat where your lists extends to the bottom of the screen. If you have many UV sets and want to rename one you are blocked if the list is too long. It will cut off at the bottom of the screen and you have no way to rename UV's. Only 'fix' is to delete your models which is not a good solution really. It is the same exact issue I had in the paint room that I posted earlier:

If the list can simply be contained within the program's window space and we can scroll up and down the list that would resolve the issue I think. I do hope this bug can be fixed in a future build sooner rather than later. I feel it makes the current builds an unstable version since it blocks the user from editing certain files/names. In other words the user is limited to a certain amount of objects, smart materials, UV lists they can have until the program cannot see them in the drop down lists.

On a side note: I can't post in the feature requests section but have a lot of ideas/quality of life ideas to make certain aspects of 3D Coat more user friendly. Is there a new place we can post our suggestions/ideas?

If you read my last post, above, deleting my Config files (MyDocs/3D Coat 4.7...select all the .xml config files except maybe the Presets and hotkeys, and leave the license.dat file alone) seemed to allow the fix in 4.7.36/37 to work.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Mystical, could you try again please ? fixed.

Thanks, looks like I have an option to post a new thread now. I'll definitely leave my ideas in the coming days.

13 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

If you read my last post, above, deleting my Config files (MyDocs/3D Coat 4.7...select all the .xml config files except maybe the Presets and hotkeys, and leave the license.dat file alone) seemed to allow the fix in 4.7.36/37 to work.

I'll give it a try next time I have some free time in 3D Coat for sure. Thanks.

• Like 1

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin, please allow us to enter any number of rows and columns with an integer slider in a Lattice deformer of the Primitive tool, instead of a drop-down list with just a couple of hardcoded presets. Also, please add a third slider for primitives like the cylinder and the tube (in the latter we can only tweak the number of spans on Y for some reason).

• Like 2

• Contributor

I think something with the primitives' gizmo should also be done. For example, on the following screenshot I'm creating a capsule, and I cannot access most of the manipulator's controls from the orthographic view, because they are all clumped up into singularity. I can move the primitive on two axes all right, but scaling or tweaking its radii is nigh on impossible without rotating the viewport, and zooming in doesn't make things significantly better.

I'm not sure if I'm not mixing 3D Coat and Maya together, but I think there was an option somewhere to increase the manipulator size. Can anyone direct me to it please?

PS. I just noticed that capsule's Cap parameters are not sliders, but input fields instead. It makes tweaking the primitive harder in circumstances mentioned above.

Treat this post as a productivity hint.

screenshot_17-08-29_00_07_22.jpg.c16057b94f3aac61f7da4d9f01e44efc.jpg

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ajz3d said:

I think something with the primitives' gizmo should also be done. For example, on the following screenshot I'm creating a capsule, and I cannot access most of the manipulator's controls from the orthographic view, because they are all clumped up into singularity. I can move the primitive on two axes all right, but scaling or tweaking its radii is nigh on impossible without rotating the viewport, and zooming in doesn't make things significantly better.

I'm not sure if I'm not mixing 3D Coat and Maya together, but I think there was an option somewhere to increase the manipulator size. Can anyone direct me to it please?

PS. I just noticed that capsule's Cap parameters are not sliders, but input fields instead. It makes tweaking the primitive harder in circumstances mentioned above.

Treat this post as productivity tweak.

Thumbs up on that. The Gizmo is a very very important tool, but to use it properly you should be able to have way more control then we have now. Anyone hear of paint 3D? They nailed it. Getting that much control with our Gizmo would be a big blessing.

One thing I would really like to see. Is being able to move any part of my tools that are now stuck inside the App. To be able to detach and be stuck on another Monitor. I am aware that this is a more changeling function, but if you have tons of assets, tools, primitives and the list goes on.. You are literally stuck With 1 monitor to do any kind of work.  Especially in complicated scenes. This starts to just become a big mess. This is very logical and should have happened years ago..

Edited by Speike-Styles
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, ajz3d said:

Treat this post as a productivity hint.

That happens when you are zoomed way out. The Gizmo is proportional to the scale of the primitive, as it should be. However, I noticed that even zoomed in, when in orthographic view, some transform widgets are obscured by others. For example, the global scale widget in the center is obscured by the axis scale widget. Andrew really needs to revisit these from an orthographic view, as most modeling will be done from that view.

I know what he will say..."you can make the same transforms from the Tool Options panel." But the problem with that, is, we don't need a work-around. We need the tools that are there, to work properly...not find a detour around the ones that don't.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
On 8/27/2017 at 3:45 AM, Carlosan said:

Do you have a proposal to improve it ?

Beyond what was mentioned below?

I could refine the mockups/concept if I felt it actually had some impact. I wont lie, most of the time it feels fruitless. The UI could be streamlined though, a lot can be combined and built to work a cleaner interactive panel.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2017 at 7:17 AM, AbnRanger said:

That happens when you are zoomed way out. The Gizmo is proportional to the scale of the primitive, as it should be. However, I noticed that even zoomed in, when in orthographic view, some transform widgets are obscured by others. For example, the global scale widget in the center is obscured by the axis scale widget. Andrew really needs to revisit these from an orthographic view, as most modeling will be done from that view.

I know what he will say..."you can make the same transforms from the Tool Options panel." But the problem with that, is, we don't need a work-around. We need the tools that are there, to work properly...not find a detour around the ones that don't.

Sometimes I missed a second undocked view to be able to edit there, while having the second view as a reference. Or a quad view. This might be cool for drafting hardsurface.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Bug on latest 4.7.37P.

Many thanks to Rui Costa that pointed out to me.

When creating a smart material pack with more than 100 (118 to be precise) it creates the pack BUT it doesn't install it back.

I had to brake it to 2 folders , each one with half of materials to be able to re install the exported packs back into 3D Coat.

As a side effect , when 3D Coat AUTO creates the preview spheres (copy paste the half materials t a new folder from windows , so i can brake the collection to 2 parts)  it creates them as SQUARES and not with the standard preview sphere.

Once clicked it works fine but icon shows as SQUARE for some reason. 

Minor issue just reporting this as well.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Advanced Member
On 9/2/2017 at 4:35 AM, Carlosan said:

Dp you mean mimic SPainter ? -as example-

Not so much SPainter, but a general combining of input fields into one or two context driven panel. The management side of things needs to be updated, especially as more gets added over time (brushes, alphas, matcaps, shaders, categories for each..ect). SP makes it easier for sure, but they also have the problem of displaying too much any one given time. In that sense I would look at Zbrush (and to a minor extent ddo/photosho) with its input areas, which then pop up the resource window for alphas, matcaps..ect

Apparently the new version of Mari is getting a UI upgrade that focuses on pop out panels as well (thank god).

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

There is a problem with retopology. Also unwrapped UV, saved, made a correction in voxel room, then back, survived again, and got such a bug. In retopo and textured the room all messed up. How to fix? Too much time it will take to do it all over again.

1.thumb.jpg.50bde15825b81697b1838f4f0bccbadd.jpg

• Advanced Member

No, it's not. Earlier there was such problem in 3dsmax, all polygons stretched across the stage, same thing here

2.thumb.jpg.3054db35afe8c421196b64c08d9cf6bd.jpg

By the way, this problem always occurs in retopo room if you save the scene, then take a step back

Once again, I apologize if I write not there. In Mantis is not yet understood

Edited by Cleitus

Can anyone else confirm if this is indeed a bug, or perhaps i'm just doing it wrong.

If i assign a different hotkey to the custom navigation section to replace "MMB" move in screen space.  (to pan the viewport).  The viewport simply slowly scrolls camera left with the custom key input.  it only seems to function correctly with the middle mouse button

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan locked this topic