3DCoat Forums

Measure Tool confusion

philnolan3d

I still don't understand how this Measure tool works. I'm making a model for a job of a human mouth and esophagus. The guy told me that the esophagus is 5 inches long. So I measured that out and sculpted it. That's fine. Next he tells me the mouth should be 48mm wide. So I switch the Measure tool to millimeters and draw a line across the mouth and it says 2.6mm, which makes no sense.  It seems like the in / mm / m / cm / whatever Is just displayed after a random number and it doesn't actually do any calculation. Is that correct?

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, philnolan3d said:

Ah thanks I missed that one. Unfortunately the video doesn't answer the question.  It seems as if there's no point in having the units of measurement like mm, cm, etc.

It would be good if you could email Andrew and ask him about this, directly. I asked him about this very topic before and what I gathered from his answer is that there really is no real world measurement, The same line can mean 5inches or 5mm. I was still confused by his answer.