3DCoat Forums

How to crease edges on cube?

Shawn Driscoll

• Reputable Contributor

Couple different techniques you could try. Use the Spline Stroke draw mode in the E-Panel to create strokes along the edges, and use the PINCH tool. The Pinch tool has a little indent, by default. Setting DEPTH to 0 just pinches. Doesn't indent or crease outward. But if you wanted it to crease outward just a bit, you could bump the depth value up a little and check INVERTTOOL (action) in the Tool bar, or hold down CTRL key while hitting the ENTER key to commit the pinch action.

You could also use the Pose tool to select just the surface area, like the top of the cube, with just a little bleed over the edge, and in the Tool Options panel, choose TO MAIN AXIS so it will scale perfectly along the local normal, and scale along that axis, on your transform gizmo...which will flatten that surface area and give you perfectly sharp edges.

You could also use the Plane tool to quickly shave the same surface area, till you have perfectly sharp edges. 

Another option you might consider is quickly running Auto-Retopo on your model > in the Retopo room, hide the voxel object > turn Auto-Snapping off (Top of the UI) and use the modeling tools there to edit the poly model. If you like the result, step back into the Sculpt workspace > go to the GEOMETRY menu > Retopo Mesh to Sculpt Mesh. It should drop it into a new child layer of the one your currently have selected. So, that's a quick and easy way to step into a polymodeling environment to make those edits and convert back to voxels.

But, the PLANE tool is probably the fastest and easiest way to do it. You can stay in Surface mode and choose the FLATTEN Brush, and in the Toolbar (above the viewport) there is an "On Plane" option that basically gives you the same functionality as the PLANE tool in Voxel mode.

• Reputable Contributor

...Remember, with the PLANE or On Plane optioned tools, once you've selected the plane, you can walk it forward or backwards (along the local axis of the plane) by using the "+" or "-" keys on your Number Pad. If it pushes too far with each increment, you can adjust the MOVEMENT STEP parameter at the bottom of the Tool Options panel, to increase or decrease how far it moves with each tap of you hotkey.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 minute ago, Shawn Driscoll said:

This is a cube.obj that I imported. Can 3D-Coat crease the edges of it? It has 12 edges total.

It doesn't have a tool that is going to parametrically do this for the user. It does have some primitives that has filleting options, but there is no "crease my corners" tool. It's hard to understand precisely what you want because we cannot see if your cube has soft or bevel corners, or if you actually mean crisp beveled edges or what.

• Advanced Member

Notice that the cube's edges are creased in this image. I'll continue to use Carrara Pro for creasing edges if 3D-Coat doesn't have that feature. I was just hoping I could remove an old app from my modeling workflow.

Image4.png

Edited by Shawn Driscoll

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Ballistic_Tension said:

just wondering if you mean bevel or crease as in to sharpen / edge crease  (keep a hard edge) . or you want the edges at a 45 degrees  bevel ? or a hard edge at 90 .

Ha! I just noticed, reading my original post, that I put 45 instead of 90. What I mean by 45 is I want to crease all edges (make them hard edges) of an object that are greater than 45 degrees (and less than 100 degrees) for example. So some edges will remain smooth, say on a sphere object.

In the old days of Bryce, this was called the smoothing angle for objects. And the hard edges stuck to the OBJ-exported models.

Edited by Shawn Driscoll