3DCoat Forums

Tileable texture in Voxel Mode

Ratchet

• Advanced Member

I would like to be able to create tileable textures using Voxels.

This would be possible using a tileable Voxel viewport.

rocksculpt01.jpg

Perhaps be able to paint materials on any individual layers before exporting the final texture diffuse, normal, metal and roughness maps.

This would make on of the most usefull tool for game creation.

Edited by Ratchet

• Advanced Member
On 27/07/2016 at 3:58 PM, Carlosan said:

To be able to create tileable textures using surface mode is not useful ?

You mean painting mode ?

The picture i posted speaks for himself about the huge difference between painting and sculpting to make a tieable texture.

I know it won't come but i wanted to suggest the idea.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
On 27/07/2016 at 5:43 PM, dimitribastos said:

How to do this?

When you start a new project, select Surface Sculpting, and then use the Tiled box 3x3. It's essentially a pre-built scene that uses instanced boxes.

But, it's severely limited at the moment. It's fine if you want to put down objects, like laying bricks or creating some rocky cliff face. But the "ground" level is essentially un-workable, and here's why:

BadTile.jpg

You can't paint across the volumes, so your strokes will end as soon as it reaches the boundary of one of the "floor" pieces you're working on.

I used "bricks" as a good example earlier, but to dive a little deeper into this issue, bricks are only good if your bricks are really close together. If you wanted to have a "floor" of cement that held the bricks together, you're going to run into major seam issues. Like this:

seambad.jpg

I'm a little disappointed to see ghib's original request for a decent tiling engine date back to 2009. I know that it must be a lot of work, and even if you can get past the issues of seams on this "lower" layer, there are still other things that make tiling 3d textures in 3dc a bit of a pain in the bumbum, like if you've got multiple objects (concrete blocks, tins, bits of steel) on the same layer, good luck finding a way of grouping and texturing them all without wanting to smash your head through your desk.

I only hope Andrew still has plans for a proper system and hasn't just given us an instanced scene of boxes and then called it a day. A proper 3d tiling system would probably cause a lot of people to flock to 3dc, as although ZBrush has their own, it's a pretty destructive workflow. I'm not sure how Mudbox handles it.

Edit
Oh, I see Mudbox just has a "tiling plane" system, which makes sense. Better than 9 instanced boxes in my opinion.

Edited by Gary Dave
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 9/16/2016 at 4:32 PM, Gary Dave said:

A proper 3d tiling system would probably cause a lot of people to flock to 3dc, as although ZBrush has their own, it's a pretty destructive workflow.

I have always thought this, and it's been somewhat frustrating to see the idea neglected considering Andrew sounded really keen on it back in 2009.

Anyway here's to hoping that renewed interest will spark creativity in Andrew once again.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Apart of what has been already said above, another problem is that when you import a textured object (like a brick for example) to sculpt room, 3D-Coat will only import colour texture. It will ignore glossiness/roughness, specular color, etc. even if you import a .3b file.

Also, objects that are not directly fused to one of those 9 planes, aren't recognized as a subject for copying to the remaining 8 'planes'. We need to merge them (optimally, without booleans), but if they're low res, then the vertex colour can spill over on the grids...

---

EDIT: Export Depth Along Y's "Patch Size" parameter still remains a mystery to me.

Edited by ajz3d