3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Trouble Calculating Occlusion

DoubleA

I'm having trouble generating a quality occlusion layer. I tried different settings in the dialogue box that pops up under Calculate Occlusion.  Ultimately, generating different results but none are the desired result. I'm getting a triangular artifact effect instead of smooth shading.  I've attached a pic. Maybe someone out there has run into the same problem?  Thanks in advance!

AO_Trouble.JPG

AO_TroubleDialogueBox.JPG

Thank you for getting back to me!  I'm afraid that I'm not sure that I understand the situation you are describing about my UV islands but I've attached images of my UV sets. Hopefully it will help to shed some light on the situation.

UV_01.JPG

UV_02.JPG

UV_03.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

AFAIK, ambient occlusion in the Paint Room gets baked from a lowpoly geometry. I think boils down to multiple lights casting shadows on your lowpoly mesh. For that reason I personally very rarely use it as most of the time I'm not satisfied with the result it returns. For example, this is what I got the last time I used it (with 2048 lights / sphere+hemisphere):

3dc_ao_2048_lights.jpg

If you need ray-traced occlusion, try baking it from highpoly in xNormal (or some other software), at least until 3D-Coat gets this feature. Don't cite me on this, but I heard that the ray-traced AO is on Pilgway's roadmap.

Edited by ajz3d

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. So, I decided to just repack all of my UV sets into a single set. That turned out ok and I was able to generate an OK AO map in XNormal.

Now my issue is that I can't seem to find where I can import my newly generated AO map into my layers.  

Ultimately, I'm trying to use it for bpr painting purposes.

How can I import my newly generated AO map into my layers for use in BPR painting?

Thanks Carlosan!  Thanks for helping this noob.

So, I now have an AO map (with it's own problems) imported as a layer!  But, I've stumbled upon a new issue. 

I'm getting a reflective? effect on a few pieces of my model upon import. (The back forearm, pelvis, and shin.) I've deleted the layers that had imported with my model (reflection, specular, etc...) but the reflective effect remains.  

Is there a method of resolving this? If so, what is that? Or, is it a non-issue that I should just paint over?

In a separate issue, my AO is producing what looks like highlights where shadows seem like they should be. And something like reflections as well? I generated it in XNormal. Am I overlooking a setting or something? Maybe that is a question for their forum?

AO_Trouble_04.JPG

AO_Trouble_05.JPG

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Trouble Calculating Occlusion