3DCoat Forums

Changing density and geometry of mesh data?

JustAnotherName

Hi, I've been trying to introduce some means into a model I obtained from a 3d scanner.

It's a scan I applied to a human body. Initially I was planning to use this to obtain some cutting patterns within 3d coat.

My problem is that I just have to live with the mesh the camera software created. The problem is I cannot even introduce straight seams for the arms for example

because the mesh does not contain such lines. Even with UV path it is impossible to do so.

Is there an easy way to introduce a "simpler" mesh which allows for straightforward UV unwrapping?

Please have a look at the current state of the model for an idea how it looks like right now.

Perhaps it's simple but I have just started to use 3d coat and only watched some youtube tutorials for simple models.

000970.jpg

• Advanced Member

Try starting a new scene and instead of importing your model for painting or retopo.  Import it as a voxel object. Then perform an autopo which should give you a much nicer mesh to work with for uv unwrapping.

2 hours ago, gbball said:

Try starting a new scene and instead of importing your model for painting or retopo.  Import it as a voxel object. Then perform an autopo which should give you a much nicer mesh to work with for uv unwrapping.

It actually looks much better now! But I have a problem adding some lines because, for example, now at the shoulder I am missing a circle to cut it out with edge loop in UV room.

In Retopo room, everytime I use "Add/Split" or "Strokes" to introduce new lines they disappear after pressing enter. Kind of strange.

Unbenannt-1.jpg