3DCoat Forums

Retopo: selecting overlapping faces

alan f

Is there a way to select overlapping faces? I accidently made a copy of the mesh in the same layer without realizing it. Now some of the parts are welded with the copied mesh.

Selecting a face and growing that selection is not working. If I try to export that mesh to clean it up in 3ds max for example, 3d coat crashes. Looks like 3d coat doesn't like the overlapping faces.

Thanks

I would like to show an image but I can't, I'm using 3d coat at work. Unfortunately the mesh is too complex for me to fiddle around, but thanks for your suggestion Tony Nemo.

Exporting the mesh with "Export Selected" as an obj worked. Quickly cleaned it up in 3ds max by selecting by element and deleting. The regular "Export" was making 3d coat crash.

Thanks

• Contributor

If some vertices have been merged together, then I'm afraid there isn't much you can do about it other than rebuilding the overlapping area. Maybe try deleting each of the overlapping faces once (just remove a face that gets selected first over each area), and then after you're done, manually merge nearby vertices. Don't use paint selection tool as it will select both of the stacked faces. This should fix it, but it requires some work.

You could also do it in a 3rd party modelling software, which most likely have some automatic means of merging vertices within a customisable radius, so after deleting each one of the overlapping faces, the next step should be a breeze.

How did you manage to pull it off anyway? :) With the Clone tool?

Edited by ajz3d

It seemed like I must of accidently merged verts when I used the move tool because I tried the Select tool with faces on and grew that selection in hopes that it would grab one of the duplicated meshes but that didn't work. On a different instance it did work because the duplicated mesh did not have merged verts with the original.

I took the same mesh into 3ds max and used select by subobject Element and it grabbed the whole mesh that was duplicated. So I'm not sure why in 3d coat the mesh looked like it had verts welded.

• Like 1

What I'm wondering is what I did in the first place to duplicate my retopo mesh in the same layer. It would seem that a dialogue of some sort would pop up and ask to Duplicate or not if I hit a hotkey or button accidently.

Thanks