3DCoat Forums

Few 3d coat questions

micro26

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I ve started modeling with 3dcoat and i want to ask for some help:

1. transform tool how to manipulate without the handles? Is there a shortcut i could really use it.

2.ghost on and of for all objects  like hidden?

3.move all layers to root? if theres an option i have found it .

4.delete empty/unused  layers?

5.save hotkey config  for different rooms without reloading them?

6. how do i make it crash?  :P  seriously it doesnt crash :D 

Capture.JPG

Any help is appreciated.

Also here a wip of a scifi gun i m making,

Edited by micro26
tag

4: right click.  If you wanted a way to remove a lot of unused layers in one go sorry don't know XD

5. in File > Preferences there is a button that says "Save hotkeys as default", does that not do it?

6: make a really complicated sculpt and run autopo, I've managed to get it to crash a couple of times doing that XD

• Advanced Member
23 hours ago, micro26 said:

or a

7. array straight , i cant figure how to do arrays in lines NOT AXIAL.

8. mirror instances inherit mirror transforms.

this is not a wishlist i m just asking cause maybe i cant find em.

thanks again in advance

Capture.JPG

still a wip :P

Edited by micro26

On 8/18/2016 at 0:18 AM, micro26 said:

7. array straight , i cant figure how to do arrays in lines NOT AXIAL.

You can do this with the curves tool (two points on the curve make a straight line!). Use the Splines pallette to select different shapes. To use a custom shape, drag the object from the Voxtree into the Splines pallete, which will make it available for use with the Curves tool.

On 8/17/2016 at 1:10 AM, micro26 said:

1. transform tool how to manipulate without the handles? Is there a shortcut i could really use it.

I would LOVE this too. Using the manipulator with the mouse is clumsy. I only really have experience of Blender, but I think in most 3D packages you can activate transform and then just drag freely.

One tip that makes it slightly easier, you can click on the small inner circle of the manipulator to drag freely in the current view plane. You probably already know that, but just in case.

Perhaps one for the features wishlist.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, lewis2e said:

You can do this with the curves tool (two points on the curve make a straight line!). Use the Splines pallette to select different shapes. To use a custom shape, drag the object from the Voxtree into the Splines pallete, which will make it available for use with the Curves tool.

I would LOVE this too. Using the manipulator with the mouse is clumsy. I only really have experience of Blender, but I think in most 3D packages you can activate transform and then just drag freely.

One tip that makes it slightly easier, you can click on the small inner circle of the manipulator to drag freely in the current view plane. You probably already know that, but just in case.

Perhaps one for the features wishlist.

thx man the curve tool works fine good to know.Thanks for your help

also heres a screenshot from a fast paint wipCapture3.JPG

Capture.JPG

• Like 5

• Advanced Member

hey all, whats the best way to do mesh extrusions in surface mode WITHOUT icreasing the OVERALL density of the mesh just the extrution border?

I tried to subd the border and then do the  Vox  Extrude but i dont get clear results. Im looking for something similar to z panel loops.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by micro26

• 7 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Here is a workaround. Place a cube or some primitive object on a different layer. Place it behind the area to cut or the whole object. 

Now even though the cube is on a different layer, the vertex lasso will now work as excepted holding down the shift key outside the object you are cutting.

When done hide or delete the cube or whatever primitive you used. 

Of course this is a workaround as the vertex lasso should honor the shift key outside of the object being cut. 

Picture shows the cube I placed on a different layer and behind the object being cut.

back.JPG

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, digman said:

Here is a workaround. Place a cube or some primitive object on a different layer. Place it behind the area to cut or the whole object. 

Now even though the cube is on a different layer, the vertex lasso will now work as excepted holding down the shift key outside the object you are cutting.

When done hide or delete the cube or whatever primitive you used. 

Of course this is a workaround as the vertex lasso should honor the shift key outside of the object being cut. 

Picture shows the cube I placed on a different layer and behind the object being cut.

back.JPG

Thx man ,didnt think of it 

cheers

• Advanced Member

I thought i found a way( i think ) but cant remember. When i have a layer in surface mode is there a way to select and split mesh islands? Split works with selections but there have to be no overlaping geometries.

Thanks in advance

Edited by micro26

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Here is a link on how to convert PBR to the old specular map using Photoshop. Also covers how to convert the albedo map. The how to is near the bottom of the page. The only method in 3DC is the Gloss / Color specular workflow which might not be what you desire.

https://www.marmoset.co/posts/pbr-texture-conversion/

workflow.jpg

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Hi again 

i have imported several layers painted with color and i want to add depth to each layer however i cant setup a border bevel  . What i m looking for is something like ddo when you add layers  and choose a bevel profile. 

I have managed to do this by loading each layer as curve but its a pain if got many layers.

Capture.PNGAny help is appreciated. 

• 4 weeks later...