3DCoat Forums

Sculpting workflow sanity check

ESpy

I've got a model that's been created in Rhino, then exported as obj layers.  I've subtracted layers (where Rhino's boolean difference failed), switched to surface mode and used surface hide to retain detail on hinges before using smooth all to smooth the rest of the model.  Voxhide seemed to leave a border which was then smoothed, while surface hide does not.

Is this the sensible way to keep specific bits of detail in a model, or is there a better way?

Now if I can just work out some sensible settings for smooth all that closely mimic the effect of the voxel version....

Depends on a lot of points,

Becareful of subtracting or bolean operation,t his is the kind of operation I know for a fact bolean is and I assume the same for subtracting that it will break the model however it needs just to achieve the hole you want. This said, it may result in a massive mess of broken surface that may then end up in uneven tri count surfaces per loop.

You posted a high resolution model. Can you p[lease post a low poly or low res mesh too please and please, turn Wireframe ON so we can see the low poly.

I do not see any issue with the high resolution model but it may require retopo.

Are you saying the inside rim line is the join line? The inside rim line is a clear evidence your low polygonal object has a/some loop(s) that are not perfectly aligned and perhaps a/some loop(s) could be deleted.

Need the low poly print screen to understand better  

Bearing in mind I'm still fairly new to 3D Coat (beyond simple smoothing use) -

The boolean operations were done here because they failed in Rhino.  Not unusual, but fairly irksome when it happens.  What's shown is post-subtraction in voxel mode.

I don't have a low res model and I still don't know enough about retopo to follow why it might be needed for my application - the only operations in surface mode have been hide & smooth all so I'd assumed that wouldn't overstretch the mesh; obviously (see 1st line!) this assumption may well be incorrect.

The bottom facing flat surfaces are the ones I didn't want smoothed (hinge assembly, catch) - there's a clear demarcation where the hidden surface ended, despite smoothing the edges of the hidden selection.

bracelet_3dcoat_capture.jpg

• Contributor

In Surface mode, in the Geometry menu, select "Decimate" (with wire frame (W) showing) to get a more relaxed mesh with fewer unnecessary polys. This operation preserves detail. I would use the Pinch tool to cleanup the "demarcation" you referred to. When your done, experiment with the Autopo means of creating the UV mesh for the model.

Thank you - couldn't think of a better description of it.  It won't show at the printed scale, but if it's visible on-screen then it's additional geometry that loads the file with unnecessary data.  Decimate shows what I assume is the same dialogue box I get before exporting as STL; however, there's a key word there...

Still fumbling with the retopo need though - as this is destined for STL output, what's the need/benefit in this case?