3DCoat Forums

Contest Retoplogy Help Sought

Anaximander

Hello:

I'm a novice 3d coat user but I find I enjoy the program a lot.

My primary focus is on making movies with  Reallusion's Iclone. Normally I don't have to worry about topology at all.

However, I've entered a contest they have put on to create a computer game character. Part of the judging criteria involves topology, a subject about which I know next to nothing.

This is the first piece for my character. To me it looks fine but I would really appreciate it if some-one who has some expertise could tell me how to bring it up to game standards.

The helmet has 3460 quads. The spire has 2960.  Too high ?

I was thinking I could probably remove most of the mesh on the inside of the helmet which is not seen.

Thanks in advance.Capture20.JPGCapture21.JPG

• Contributor

It is also more economical to boolean the parts together before retopology to avoid hidden polys like the inside of a helmet. You can seperate them with seams so they get their proper textures and manual retopology gets much lower poly counts. Autopo is best for non animatable objects and makes elegant meshes but editing them can be more time consuming than manual.