3DCoat Forums

Copy merge and inflate

davide445

23 hours ago, Carlosan said:

VoxTree->RMB->Extrude

It Helps ?

Might, but I'm blocked on the first statement: select, copy, paste and merge a part of the model into another part.

Not copy a texture but a whole part. Using the Sculpt-Clone tool I reach the point where I'm able to relocate the new part.

From here I'm not able to do anything, since after Apply in Tool Options 3DC switched to Import and any other choice make the new part to disappear.

Feeling really stupid, for sure I'm missing something.

Copy and merge.JPG

Edited by davide445

Not sure what I've done differently from before, but appear Apply is doing the job.

Now created the clone I need to rotate and position it. Using the To Center Mass I was able to do someting, but will be better if I will be able to rotate the axis so that one of them (i.e. the Y) is aligned with the object main direction or with an external line (as example the red line). Damn if I can find how to do it.

Axis.JPG

Looking at this video to discover how to rotate my part, I discover the Tweak room contain probably what I need.

Only problem when I switch to this room my model it's not displayed!

In any other room I can see it, not in this one, please any suggestion I'm so near in putting all together I need just to finish the last steps!

Tweak.JPG

Edited by davide445

• Contributor

With your first problem, in the tool options panel. click "Move Only Gizmo" and make any adjustments you want. The tweak room is only accessable to models that have been 'baked' in the Retopo room and are ready to paint. If, when you have baked to the Paint room, you see some small adjustment to the mesh you created and baked in the Retopo room, will do it in the Tweak room (which I personally have not used).

So Tweak it's NOT what I need, since I didn't need to Paint nor have I any baked material to use. I want also to create some actual geometry since the part need to be 3D printed after all the changes made in 3DC.

Returning to Sculpt room there is any way to obtain my previous request, to re-align the axes with the object?

Using Transform>To Main Axis does the trick in aligning the coordinate system to object main axis.

Rotated, relocated the problem is how to re-connect the part to the main body.

Being a surface I thinked to cut the bottom of the part, cut a hole into the main body and next create some sort of bridge.

But first I can't find a way to simply delete a specific part, and next how to bridge the two separated surfaces.

Fuse.JPG

Edited by davide445

Perfect this worked very well thanks!

Now same topic different part. Need to select, cut, move and merge a different part (inside the red circle in the picture), this time integrated with the main body.

Problem is using the lasso select tool and rotating the camera view to rotate around the part the selection didn't follow the surface inside the lasso.

Also it cut always a volume, I want instead to cut only a surface.

Any way to select in 3d, navigating around an object. Also being in surface mode I think my model was a surface not a volume.

Selection.JPG

Edited by davide445

• Contributor

This should be done in Voxel mode (Toggle the S to get to V) where you could use "Cut & Clone" tool where you could use Vertex Curve or Curve Stroke tools (Toggle E) to create an accurate cut line for your part. Transform tool to place and Merge volumes to join.

25 minutes ago, Tony Nemo said:

This should be done in Voxel mode (Toggle the S to get to V) where you could use "Cut & Clone" tool where you could use Vertex Curve or Curve Stroke tools (Toggle E) to create an accurate cut line for your part. Transform tool to place and Merge volumes to join.

But I didn't want to cut a volume, only a surface. I finished doing the cut in another sw, importing the two parts (surfaces) and join them in 3DC.

Told you only since I did prefer to find a solution inside 3DC and avoid the export import path.

My question is: even in S mode 3DC select always volumes?

My problem with volume cutting is I didn't want the opposite part of the body to be touched (no hole from side to side) and also didn't know how to fill a hole once created preserving nearby geometry.

A concrete problem where to apply the Split tool is to separate the legs.

In the picture I highlined with the red circle the legs end I need to separate.

I need something such as a blade to cut trough a line and separate the two parts.

But Split or Cut & Clone tool offer only the lasso tool and not Brush to split on a line.

Legs.JPG

Finally used multiple Split to be able to select what I need. I really didn't understand why paint select it's not available on Split tool, used it with Pose tool and was really useful.

Fusing together various parts I notice the S->V->S workflow tend to loose surface details, to a point where thiny elements are lost such as in these image where antennas once connected with the head are now disconnected.

Any way to avoid this?

Voxelize.JPG

Edited by davide445

Problem is the whole body is loosing details at every SVS cycle, so every time I merge some new part I loose details.

When I switch from S to V 3DC suggest a voxel number (I suppose that's what this number represent) normally 20.000 for small parts I need to merge and much higher (over 1 Mil) for the complete body. 

The merge process average the voxel numbers? Need I to setup an identical voxel number also for the small part? So to say 1.5 Mil voxel also for the small part?

• Contributor

No averaging is done. There wont be 1.5 mil voxels . In the Voxtree, there is a toggle at the bottom that creates a space with identical density and transformation. Do all your boolean operations in voxels and don't go to surface mode until this is done, Surface mode is fast and has more tools for adding detail but does not handle boolean operations very well.

More I work with 3DC more I discover gems of features, but I'm far from having a solid grip on the tool.

A similar problem as previous, but different application: did bridged antennas with the body with cilinders (Arch: 0) as in the evidenced parts in the picture,

Now I want to increase their size so the make them less thin, any way to do it just extending the radius? I've the idea that using radial simmetry might be the solution, but can't find a way to apply this idea.

Antenna.JPG

Edited by davide445