3DCoat Forums

Help on workflow and tips please

hexadecimale

Hello,

Ok I create a 3D model of a pod racer, granted it is based of Anakin pod racer. It has multiple elements that shape the pod racer as a whole.

I modeled it in maya and UV'ed in Maya.

My plans are to get those elements to 3D coat , then to substance designer, then back in maya, rig, animate, render a high cage onto a low poly as if it was for games.

In 3D coat:

1) I added subdivision and surface count, or, voxel = 20ies million triangles.

2) I added some relief with Alphas 

3) Now I want to add some cavities and get some occlusion and some normal maps of that high triangle model.

In a previous post, I understood I had to retopo the 23 million tri mesh to get a UV again because UV mode would not display the voxel high resolution model.

3) As a test, I quickly retopo'ed the high model quick and dirty. I unwrapped fast ( it was fun and quick by the way I like 3d coat retopo operations! )

4) but then a major issue arose and I do not understand what is next, what is the workflow, perhaps I misunderstood 3D coat because I cannot figure a solution on my own or with video tutorials on youtube.

What needs to be next?

a) I believe I should bring the retopo to UV room so I can have a little better UV with perhaps less seams? But i would be fine as a test if I have to skip somehow, then....

b ) Do I go to paint room to: add cavity, extract normal maps, extract occlusion maps?

3D coat is really cool but the more I dwelve in the past couple of days, the more confused I become :wacko:

Thanks

3dcoat1.jpg

3dcoat2.jpg

• Advanced Member

The Retopo Room Has its own UV Tools you use them in the retopo room . Do all your UV s  in the retopo room .  you DO NOT go to the UV ROOM as your photo above ! (you will not see model there)  That room is for when you 1st  bring a model into 3dc to the Paint Room 1st and if that model   has uv s with it to work on / see  those  UVs you would then use the UV ROOM.     Re: cap   Paint , Tweak , UV  these rooms go together.  and  Sculpt , Retopo  go together (  retopo has its uv tools in it so then you can bake and move on to the paint room or just export out all maps.  Hope it helps :mellow:

• Like 1