3DCoat Forums

Workflow identity

• Advanced Member

I think it could help if  the rooms  would be in a order  of association / work flow used most of the time. A New layout (left to right) :   Sculpt  Retopo     Paint  Tweak  UV           RENDER        with space as to show  they go together. You could use a different font or bold text for sculpt and retopo  anything to give the user a visual clue. myself if I could I would just color code the text : sculpt and retopo (3dc blue) and paint,tweak,uv  (3dc green)   render room white default.      bonus would be the Paint 1/2  blue to orange in the text being paint is at the end of work flow and the beginning of its own work flow . what is there now is confusing or should I say no help for new users. Thanks for your time.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
11 hours ago, Ballistic_Tension said:

I think it could help if  the rooms  would be in a order  of association / work flow used most of the time. A New layout (left to right) :   Sculpt  Retopo     Paint  Tweak  UV           RENDER        with space as to show  they go together. You could use a different font or bold text for sculpt and retopo  anything to give the user a visual clue. myself if I could I would just color code the text : sculpt and retopo (3dc blue) and paint,tweak,uv  (3dc green)   render room white default.      bonus would be the Paint 1/2  blue to orange in the text being paint is at the end of work flow and the beginning of its own work flow . what is there now is confusing or should I say no help for new users. Thanks for your time.

I asked something similar of Andrew a few times, but nothing came of it. It should be Paint > Tweak > UV (Visual Divider) Retopo > Sculpt. This would give some visual reference that the workspaces are related. I've been trying to get Andrew to consolidate the Paint Mesh structure with the Retopo Mesh structures, so there aren't so many different meshes to have to work with. And in doing so, Andrew can drop the Tweak Room + the artist can utilize the full range of modeling tools in the Retopo room to immediately tweak or modify their low poly paint mesh. No sending copies to this room or that. The modeling tools should be exposed for the Paint mesh, and when baking, there would no longer be a Retopo or Paint mesh. Just use whatever is visible as the low-poly target mesh.

This would simplify the UI and the workflow, not to mention making it easier for new users to learn 3D Coat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

What I suggest for  the order of the Room Names would be a simple fix and is better then what is there now  IMOP .  most people read/go left to right >>>>  so most of time one would Start in:  Sculpt then Retopo   then  go to Paint room >workflow #1 .  Workflow #2  Start in (import)  :  Paint  use Tweak and UV room . That is all Left to Right and the UV room is farthest away from workflow #1 .       The way it is now  one goes  Left to Right >>> and  right to left  <<<<<  when using Retopo and Sculpt  and if I am going  the other way the UV room is in line  after  retopo   . I want to get the Paint room in the middle it is at the end of # 1 workflow  and the beginning of its own workflow #2  and  the  tweak  UV are good as is. ( Get the UV room as far away from Retopo)      Basically  just add ANY visual clue  for the possible workflow that 3dc says you should  do Most of the time .  It would help new users .:mellow:

• 5 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I've given up trying to get anything done on the UI. I asked for the tabs to be arranged logically....nothing. I asked for some visual dividers between the tabs, because there are none. It looks one big fat tab with a lot of text under it. You can easily see how it should be done, either in Modo or Houdini. Nothing came of the request. I asked....even spent a few hours creating before and after mock-ups...for consolidation of the toolbar parameters, into the Tool Options panel. So all the options for a tool would be located in one place, rather than scattered across the UI. Nothing

So, asking seems like a fruitless endeavor at this point.