3DCoat Forums

POLYGROUPS

do lo

• Advanced Member

how can i group parts like zbrush does with its poygroups ,and still be in the same object group in 3d coat. instead of making separate objects. so i can work on seperate parts of the specific object and wont have to change level groups all the time. would save lots of time if i didnt have to keep changing objects. also the parts would then be one object but able to select different separate parts on that object. i could also place a certain part of an object into a different object layer.

Edited by do lo

• Contributor

There is no direct equivalent of polygroups in 3D-Coat. You could store freeze states or pose tool selections, but due on-the-fly changes that are being applied to mesh structure by most of the tools, those states will quickly become unusable (unless you hold yourself from using LiveClay tools or surface tools with "Remove Stretching" flag enabled).

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, ajz3d said:

There is no direct equivalent of polygroups in 3D-Coat. You could store freeze states or pose tool selections, but due on-the-fly changes that are being applied to mesh structure by most of the tools, those states will quickly become unusable (unless you hold yourself from using LiveClay tools or surface tools with "Remove Stretching" flag enabled).

True, but you can always paint your "polygroups" in the Paint room, and at any point you can use the Magic Wand to select the color (probably set color tolerance to 20 or so). You can invert the freeze selection if needed (CTRL + SHIFT + I) in the FREEZE menu. If you want to hide frozen area, that too is an option in the Freeze Menu. You could also use Paint Layers to identify your PolyGroups, and when you need to isolate one, you can RMB the layer and choose FREEZE PAINTED or FREEZE TRANSPARENT. One can also use a freeze selection to drive VoxLayer, to create a copy of the selected polys, and when using large-scale editing tools like MOVE or POSE, one can select "Trough All Volumes." This let's the user treat the separate layers/objects as if they were one. I'm sure you knew that, AJZ. I was just mentioning it for anyone new to 3D Coat.

Andrew is supposed to add the Surface Conditions Menu (like the one in the Paint Room and Smart Materials Editor) to the Sculpt Room, soon, so users can quickly create cavity masks or other CONDITIONS based selections without having to step into the Paint Room to do so.

• Like 2