3DCoat Forums

ZbrushCore, a new streamlined version of Zbrush (Indie?)

RabenWulf

• Advanced Member

Pixologic just announced ZbrushCore.

" Pixologic is pleased to announce ZBrushCore®, a streamlined version of ZBrush designed for all artists and enthusiasts of both traditional and digital art. At its heart, ZBrushCore functions the same as ZBrush. Every skill and technique learned and applied in ZBrushCore will carry over seamlessly to ZBrush. "
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?202273-Announcing-ZBrushCore

Pixologic will officially unveil ZBrushCore for both Windows® and Mac OS® during the ZBrush Summit starting September 30th, 2016.

I am surprised by this move... its both good and bad. The software will become more accessible, possibly at a very low price point. On the other hand, it will  directly hit the kind of niche that 3D Coat is hitting as an alternative sculpting application.

Edited by RabenWulf
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 9/7/2016 at 6:05 AM, Nossgrr said:

The new Wacom Intuos 3D comes bundled with ZBrush Core, $199 price tag so Core cant be that expensive on it's own.. I need a new tablet so this is very exciting.

I guess we'll know on Sept 30th for Core and hopefully ZB5 :)

Just found a video of a bunch of artist getting together and using ZCore.

When I read this again:
"Pixologic is pleased to announce ZBrushCore, a streamlined version of ZBrush designed for all artists and enthusiasts of both traditional and digital art. At its heart, ZBrushCore is the same as ZBrush. All features in ZBrushCore are also found in ZBrush and everything learned will directly translate to its big brother. The difference lies in the intended use of each software.

The award winning ZBrush® is the leading software for professional sculptors, modelers and illustrators working in a variety of industries. ZBrushCore is designed for users who are new to 3D as well as illustrators, students and 3D printing enthusiasts."

I am starting to believe they may not allow commercial viability.

Edited by RabenWulf

From what I understand, I don't think it allows commercial use, either.

I'm hoping this new version helps Pixologic push toward a more intuitive UI+Nav. Other than that, ZB is sharp, and I think this new version looks sharp too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

So they showed off Zbrush Core last night, also launched the Zbrush Core website. I don't see anything yet to suggest no commercial usage. Price tag: $150 (or included with the $200 Wacom 3D tablet).

Here is the website: http://zbrushcore.com/features

Really does look like a slimmed down version of Zbrush with a lot of features removed, and a limit placed on brushes/polycount.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Says on the page you can use it commercially, two installations permitted (only one can run at any time).

They gave more features than i expected.. Zspheres and dynamesh made the cut.. One that didnt is GoZ.. That one bugs me.. 

About the modeling restrictions, 20 mil polys and 30 3dtools (object parts) seems reasonnable for a starter edition.

I didnt stay up for all of it, did they talk about ZB 5 at all?

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

From what I have read -I can be wrong-

- You can't export to other applications.
- Only seems to export to 3d printing services directly.

Eesh.. What's the point of the app then? It's like having an electric guitar that doesnt plug into anything. lol

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Nossgrr said:

Eesh.. What's the point of the app then? It's like having an electric guitar that doesnt plug into anything. lol

You can export your sculpts to Wavefront OBJ. Not sure why you think it's for printing services only.

• Contributor

It seems they have some technical difficulties. LiveStream just stopped on Peter Konig's presentation. :(

So far I enjoy watching the summit. Most of the techniques presented can be easily ported into 3D-Coat's environment.

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

I just couldnt pass ZB for $119. I checked the features page and indeed it has export to .obj. Bought it. I hope in the future they'll loosen the features a bit and include stuff like GoZ and decimation. In the meantime, 3D Coat meets all my retopo and paint needs :)

I'll let you guys know how it is once it's released.

Edited by Nossgrr

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Nossgrr said:

I just couldnt pass ZB for $119. I checked the features page and indeed it has export to .obj. Bought it. I hope in the future they'll loosen the features a bit and include stuff like GoZ and decimation. In the meantime, 3D Coat meets all my retopo and paint needs :)

I'll let you guys know how it is once it's released.

Yeah its a tough one, such a good deal for an "indy" version of zbrush.

My biggest concern however is the effect it will have in regards to 3D Coat. One of the perks of 3DC was that it was targeting that lower end (price range). Pixologic has now appropriately identified that market and created a product for it. Smart move on their part. Hoping 3DC can stay competitive and up the sculpting quality to match this new product. I might even grab a copy myself, as a streamlined version might be more enjoyable to work in than the zbrush (pro) version I am used to.

44 minutes ago, RabenWulf said:

Yeah its a tough one, such a good deal for an "indy" version of zbrush.

My biggest concern however is the effect it will have in regards to 3D Coat. One of the perks of 3DC was that it was targeting that lower end (price range). Pixologic has now appropriately identified that market and created a product for it. Smart move on their part. Hoping 3DC can stay competitive and up the sculpting quality to match this new product. I might even grab a copy myself, as a streamlined version might be more enjoyable to work in than the zbrush (pro) version I am used to.

True this definitely seems like a response to 3Dcoat especially with all the attention it's getting from industry professional artists like the Learnsquared team. However you can buy a ZBCore and 3DCoat license for about half the price of a Zbrush R4.8 license. 3Dcoat can basically bridge all of the missing features. 

Competition is good for the consumer and I can't really see Zbrush ever been "streamlined" in the same sense as 3Dcoat. It's a fundamental UI problem IMO. But ZBCore looks enticing I may give it a go as most things I sculpt in 3Dcoat end up becoming "mushy". 

Edited by DaveMW