3DCoat Forums

Can't retain objects shape after objectify

moriturimax

Finally getting motivated to jump back in and learn 3D Coat.  But I am hitting a hair-tearing scream at the wall problem.

I make an object.

Lasso part of it in symmetry.

Hide that part.

Objectify the hidden part.

A new object is created, and the original object has the new part removed from it.  As seems obvious.

When I do anything with the original object, it suddenly has the part I "cut out" restored as if I had done nothing to it.  The new piece still exists on its own layer.

HOW DO I KEEP THE ORIGINAL OBJECT FROM "RESETTING" ITSELF?!?!

Arg, what crucial step am I missing?

Hmmm, not at computer right now but yes, was using 4.7, but the problem is that I want the original shape to keep the removed detail.

I'm other words of I lasso a round hole out of my sphere and then hide the selection, objectify it to a new layer, I want my sphere to keep the hole, not revert to the featureless sphere I started with.

I'm beginning to think I have to invert hidden and objectify the now hidden sphere to make a new sphere with the details I had "cut out" to start with?

Thanks for the help.

Got to my computer.  Huh, now suddenly it works.. broke an object up into 3 pieces so far and they all retain their post-objectify shapes... the original hasn't "restored" the parts I separated and the objectify'd parts are also behaving, yet this morning and last night, doing the same exact thing it failed. 

False false alarm, it's still doing it... went to RES+ the original sphere that had two objects "cut out" of it with the objectify process and BOOM returned to a whole sphere, with the additional details I had sculpted on to it... there was nothing revealed when I inverted hidden.

I did try one thing and it seems to have "stuck" the sphere to it's current form, I switched to surface, then back to voxels and tried a RES+ and the sphere did not restore the parts I had removed.  Crossing fingers.

This is in 4.5 which I have on my Wacom Cintiq... don't have the band width to try to download the update, will do so tonight.  I'll try and duplicate it step by step with pictures and then post those if it persists.  Very annoying.

the answer is in the question, as they say. :)

You're missing a little step to get your intended, final, result, yes. But first allow me to humbly point out how and why it behaves as it does... which is as it should. it's not bugged or anything don't worry.

When I do anything with the original object, it suddenly has the part I "cut out" restored as if I had done nothing to it.  The new piece still exists on its own layer.

Except that as your own use of quotes imply, you actually did NOT "cut out" anything from the original layer, where everything still exist, yes. So, when you did 'Objectify Hidden', a new layer with a _copy_ of the hidden was just pasted in, rather than a cut/paste equivalent, as everybody instinctively assume when first using vox hide (I swear, everyone make the same assumption, I did too at first ;) ).

So, after you get your objectified_new_part, mouseover the original layer, press 'h' to select it easily, and then go back to the geometry menu to use 'delete hidden'. You can then check, by using 'unhide all' that it worked as intended.

On a side not, I'm venturing a guess here... but what may be leading user to this confusion when using VoxHide, IMO, is the fact that the new objectified object(s) get the suffix name "_hidden", as is they where  cut/pasted from the original, while they're not, just copy of some still hidden part of the original, until explicite deletion by the user.

Edited by Percevan
typos...

Seems to be doing the trick... sorry about the terminology, was trying to explain it clearly and not familiar with the terms...  is it tools? assets? pieces?  heh heh..

Thanks for the help, I almost suspect I wasn't hitting 'h' and that was my main problem..  makes sense, I sort of understood that I was just hiding part of it and that didn't make the original stuff just go away, but it just kept acting differently.. sometimes it worked, then it worked but only for the first couple commands, then it didn't seem to work at all.

Cheers, and Thanks again Percevan.

PS what really threw me was that when I selected some section of the main shape with Vox Hide and then Objectify'd Hidden, the original shape looked like it HAD had the hidden part removed.  The edge was there, it was missing the piece when you moved it, but as soon as I RES+'d it or sculpted on it, anything like that, THEN boom restored to whole.  THAT is what confused me the most.

Edited by moriturimax