3DCoat Forums

Prepare for animation

davide445

I finally got my cleaned and refined butterfly, coming from 3d-scanner and resized x7 for 3d printing.

I was thinking also to experiment a short animation to be made in Unity3d. This will be the first character animation in my life.

Problem is I'm not sure where to start. For humans I'll use Akeytsu for rigging, skinning and animation, but for non-human characters?

Will 3d-Coat help me in any way, i.e. using Split&Joints or Pose to define various positions?

Butterfly full.JPG

• Like 1

• Contributor

Hey, Davide445. If this is a sculpt mesh on the image, then you should retopo it with a deformation-friendly topology (tip: for a butterfly, use one or two retopo objects tops). If it's your first model designated for animation, I suggest looking up PolyCount forum (and also its Wiki) for nice examples of topology flow. Also, read and watch as many tutorials about rigging and animation-friendly topology as possible.

Regarding rigging and animation packages, From my experience I can recommend Maya and Houdini.

PS. Forget about Split&Joints. It's for creating joints on an object designated for 3D printing and it's completely irrelevant when it comes to computer animation.

• Like 1

Thanks @ajz3d

About rigging/animation packages I'll not use the big generalist names such as Maya, 3dsmax, Houdini or Blender for time and budget constraints.

Searching for specialized, low cost and game engine friendly tools. Akeytsu IMHO is good for characters, didn't understand if is working also for non humans such as my butterfly. Didn’t find other solutions, maybe do you have any suggestion.

About retopo I'm less concerned: 3DC has all what I need and dream of, I need only to learn it...

Ok for split&join, Pose will be useful in any way?

Edited by davide445

• Contributor
8 minutes ago, davide445 said:

Thanks @ajz3d

About rigging/animation packages I'll not use the big generalist names such as Maya, 3dsmax, Houdini or Blender for time and budget constraints.

In this case Blender might be your best choice. At least it eliminates the budget constraint, but of course it still requires a lot of time to learn.

As far as I know, most of the automatic rigging solutions deal with bipedal characters rigging. Hence, it might be difficult to find one in which you can rig anything. Maybe some other person could help you here.

It might be worth a try to look for any winged-characters autorig plug-ins for Blender. Maybe there are some that you could use. I think even an auto-rig that deals with birds would work quite well with butterflies.