3DCoat Forums

Posing a high-poly hardsurface character

Vykoukal

Hello guys, I´m currently finishing this mech character and I have a question about my next workflow. Sculpting is 99% done and I would like to paint more details as a normal map, add materials and pose character to some different position. What is the best approach to do that? Is it better to pose character first and paint details after? Will symmetry work this way? Or paint details and pose it after that? 

Thank you for opinions!

Jakub

2016-09-25 (1).png

2016-09-25 (2).png

2016-09-25.png

• Like 1

• Contributor

IMHO it's always better, not only performance-wise, but also because of how complex the model can become object-wise, to pose it early.

But if you want to pose a detailed model at a later stage, then you could take advantage of 3D-Coat's proxy (with 'Through all volumes' flag enabled, if you're planning to add some clothes to your character, etc.). Or export it to a steamroller like Maya or Houdini, rig a highly decimated version of your character, pose it and then replace it with a highpoly super-detailed model.

But with non-organics, like your robot - where nothing deforms, I wouldn't worry about it much. With a proper hierarchy, you can pose your model at any stage just by rotating its parts. Just remember to group them under parent layers and set rotation pivots correctly.

Cheers!

Thank you ajz3d very much. I have just one more question, is there a possibility in 3D-Coat to instance retopologized mesh? I mean, I don´t have it 100% symmetrical in the way of posing, so I can´t use symmetry tool for that, but those pieces (legs, arms...) are mirrored instances. Is there some way to have my retopo mesh instanced as well?

Thank you in advance!

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Vykoukal said:

Thank you ajz3d very much. I have just one more question, is there a possibility in 3D-Coat to instance retopologized mesh? I mean, I don´t have it 100% symmetrical in the way of posing, so I can´t use symmetry tool for that, but those pieces (legs, arms...) are mirrored instances. Is there some way to have my retopo mesh instanced as well?

Thank you in advance!

Not at the moment:

However, you could clone parts of your retopo mesh, mirror and manually transform them into positions. They won't be instances though.

Edited by ajz3d

2 hours ago, ajz3d said:

Not at the moment:

However, you could clone parts of your retopo mesh, mirror and manually transform them into positions. They won't be instances though.

Thank you ajz3d, yeah I read your topic :) I was just curious if it haven´t been changed lately. I will probably retopo it completely symmetricaly and pose after in Cinema4D...