3DCoat Forums

3DCoat to Element3D - Normal Standard

JBT27

I'm having problems exporting normal maps from 3DC for use in Element3D.  This is purely the normal map.  All other maps do not show the UV seams - I deliberately UV'd with these seams so I could check the problem.

I don't know what normal standard Element3D uses, but so far, I cannot get round the normal generating these seams.  If I export a displacement map from 3DC and have Element3D 'convert grayscale', that works, but actual normal maps don't work, so far.

Does anyone have this workflow up and running?  I've tried the presets one after the other, but cannot get round this.

Thanks.

3DC-E3D_01.JPG

Thanks.  But I have tried multiple combinations of inverting channels, including just the green channel, but all it does is alter the problem, not remove it; those seams are still made visible.

All other maps map correctly - it's the normal map only that is causing this trouble.  In fact this problem also crosses into Lightwave.  The only workflow I'm getting a clean export is with Unity.

I'll try that - thanks Carlosan.

I have resolved the Lightwave issue, which was setting the normal map to linear within LW - I should have remembered that.

Element3D is proving more thorny.

I'll drop an email - thanks again.

• Like 1

What about this option ?

http://www.videocopilot.net/docs/element2/texturing_and_materials/surface_uv_mapping/

AUTO NORMALS
This auto-calculates the normals for shading based on a mesh’s geometry.  This can be used as a solution to generate smoothing if your model was not able be exported with smoothing groups or normals. This may prove helpful in many scenarios, although it is more efficient to have the normals and smoothing fixed before importing into Element.
Auto%20Normals%20%28Thumb%29.jpg
Edge Threshold
Adjusts the angle at which auto normals will generate a sharp edge.
UV Repeat Invert Normals
Inverts all polygon normals. For more info and uses for Auto Normals and Edge Threshold see 3D Object Troubleshooting and Exporting 3D Objects for Element 3D.

• Like 1

Thanks very much.  Yes, I tried this, but it makes absolutely no difference to the visibility of seams with the normal map.  This is definitely something to do with the normal map from 3DC ported straight into Element3D.

In the first attached screengrab, you can see the normal map in Element3D's Normal Bump channel - it looks kind of washed out too.  But the thing is, if I use the Convert Bump checkbox, the seams disappear and I get the correct relief.  I guess it's just treating the map as a greyscale and converting it to a normal.  Interestingly, the manual only contains a link to Crazy Bump, suggesting to convert bump maps to normals.  I know this works, via ShaderMap in my case.

Maybe I do that and don't worry about it :D

3DC-E3D_02.JPG3DC-E3D_03.JPG

• Like 1