3DCoat Forums

Zbrush Core's "Surface Noise" alternative in 3DCoat

mkdm

Hi 3DCoat team and good evening,

I'm wondering how and if is it possible inside 3DCoat to mimic the behavior of the "Surface Noise" feature of the new Zbrush Core.

That is, how is it possible in 3DCoat to apply a global and uniformly spaced displacement brush to an entire object,
in a way that is similar to the "Fill whole layer" command available for smart materials into the paint room.

I hope that this operation can be done inside 3DCoat.

Here's the ZBrush Core's feature :

Nice day,

- Marco (mkdm)

• Advanced Member

There is a noise tool/brush but its extremely limited compared to the Noise Maker in zbrush. You could probably use the paintbucket tool in paint to fill a pattern with a freeze (mask) then use that for some kind of displacement... but nothing as simple as noisemaker.

• Contributor

Looks to me you could achive the same result with the shaders.

In the shader you could change the scale and bumpiness of your Material.

As Example take a look at the RustedMetal shader and play around with it.

4 hours ago, Malo said:

Looks to me you could achive the same result with the shaders.

In the shader you could change the scale and bumpiness of your Material.

As Example take a look at the RustedMetal shader and play around with it.

Hi Malo and thanks a lot for your reply.

Well...it seems an easy solution almost sufficient for simple display purposes, but it not performs a real displacement onto the model.

Anyway thanks for your suggestion!

P.S. 3DCoat it's an awesone product and I think that the strategic move of Pixologic with their ZBrush Core, will give an interesting sprint to 3DCoat team,

in order to improve some key areas, like Voxel's slowness and overall brush quality just to name a few, that really suffer compared to ZBrush, and

also with ZBrush Core.

Have a nice day,

- Marco (mkdm)

8 hours ago, RabenWulf said:

There is a noise tool/brush but its extremely limited compared to the Noise Maker in zbrush. You could probably use the paintbucket tool in paint to fill a pattern with a freeze (mask) then use that for some kind of displacement... but nothing as simple as noisemaker.

Hi RabenWuff and thanks for your help. I will try your suggestion.

Nice day,

- Marco (mkdm)

• Contributor

Hi, yes it is correct, 3d coat dont displace the model.

But as far as i see in the video, in Core it wont displace too.

The first noise, the scales, dont deform anything. Same on the others that follow.

I know in Zbrush it is a real displacemrent, but in Core, the video shows only bump mapping.

Edited by Malo

Thank you very much to all for your suggestions !

For the moment I'm going to use normal maps into the Sculpt shader.

Have a nice day,

P.S.  It would be very handy to have a feature in 3DCoat to apply a global and uniform displacement to an entire object,
in a way that is similar to the "Fill whole layer" command available for smart materials into the paint room.

- Marco (mkdm)

• Reputable Contributor

I've asked Andrew for procedural noise maker in the Sculpt room, with an extensive library, using opensource map library Bercon Maps. But Andrew just said "It isn't easy to do." So, I guess that is the main qualification for tool requests. If it's easy or not.

There is a Noise tool, that you can use...

....but it doesn't have a full range of procedural noises....it was basically a half-done version. Andrew started on it, but before adding a full selection of noise types, he stopped working on it and moved onto something else. Once your object is baked to a low poly paint mesh, then you can use the Fill tool's noise patterns and use any maps you have on your hard drive, in Cube Mapping mode, to create noise with real displacement in the viewport.

In the interim, the best thing to do is use Stencils in Cube Mapping mode, and you can use a selection marquee in the E-Panel to select the whole object  and it will apply the pattern to your object.

Hi AbnRanger,

> "In the interim, the best thing to do is use Stencils in Cube Mapping mode, and you can use a selection marquee in the E-Panel to select the whole object  and it will apply the pattern to your object."

...some minutes ago I just made an easy test with that technique.

Indeed, very interesting results!

Have a nice day,

- Marco (mkdm)

surface_noise_001.png

• Like 1