3DCoat Forums

sculpt workflow

DavidAguero3D

Hello, I'm new to 3Dcoat, I was wondering what is the workflow to use when I have a base mesh that I need to add sculpting details, then export the displacement map (not vector) to use in other 3d package. I already import a mesh, but I can't sculpt, only paint normal and color, and in the sculpt tab the object disappears.

thanks, David

• Reputable Contributor

The Splash Screen will put you in the right workspace/environment. Nevertheless, 3D Coat really isn't designed to start with texture painting (importing your mesh into Paint workspace) and then sculpt > bake > and texture paint some more. It's mostly designed to start sculpting/modeling first > Retopo (which you can just import a copy of the original low poly model into the Retopo Room, to use as your baking target/retopo mesh) > Bake > Texture Paint.

However, since you already have your mesh in the Paint workspace, there is an option to quickly bring a copy of that into the Sculpt workspace. Click on the SCULPT tab > in the GEOMETRY Menu (from the Menu bar) click PAINT MESH to SCULPT MESH. When you are done sculpting if there aren't any large scale changes to the overall shape of your model, you can go to the Retopo Room > BAKE menu > BAKE SCULPT MESH UPDATE TO PAINT LAYERS.

• Reputable Contributor

This series goes through the process of taking a model that is already in the Paint Workspace, with some texture work done already, and going back up the pipeline to make some modeling, sculpting and posing edits...then get all the changes back into the Paint Workspace, without upsetting the paint layers you already painted.