3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Can't type numbers into fields, only dragging works? (Linux)

chrisoffner3d

Hey there, I'm new to 3D Coat and am currently evaluating the trial version as I'm looking for a Linux alternative to ZBrush.

It seems though that I cannot type in any numbers into value fields. For example, if I choose "Resample", I can click the polygon count field but nothing happens - I cannot type a new number. The only way to change the value is to drag left and rig next to the "Density Modulation Factor" field. That's annoying but not yet a dealbreaker.

Where this becomes truly problematic however is that when I right-click a shader and choose "Edit Current Objects Shader Settings", when the shader I'm editing has a default Bumpness value of 20, dragging it down and up again will only let me drag up to some internal upper limit of 10. So I can't adjust the value beyond this limit of 10 after reducing it. I'm assuming it would be possible to type in a number manually to override that limit but being only able to change values via dragging prevents that.

Any idea what's up here?
Cheers!

Those things shouldn't be happening to you, they appear to be Linux bugs. Sorry to hear you're experiencing them. Definitely contact Linux support (Sergii).

BTW, it's good to see you here Chris! :) If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Will do, thank you. :)

I do have another question. :) On some YouTube videos as well as on http://3dcoat.com/manual/sculpt/182-surfacetools/ I see a lot more Surface Tools listed than the mere six brushes I can find in my 3D Coat. Brushes like Rapid 2, Scratches and Scratches2, Mud and Mud2 don't seem to be included in my installation. Is there a place where I can download them?

• Advanced Member

In the video 25secounds in you can see all the surface tools are available . That is because under VOX TREE  the Layer EYE_01 is active and that layer is in SCULPT MODE  it has a    S    not a    V       in front of it  only then will you see all the  surface tools  you are missing . In the video if he where to switch to say layer  Teeth upper  you will Not have all surface tools there because that layer has a   V     which is Voxel  Mode .     For the field box to change the numbers  are you Right clicking on it  because you have to LEFT CLICK  to change #.    last just wondering what your machine specs are .   Hope this helps some.:rofl:

Never mind my question about the brushes - I now understand what you meant. ;)
Would be helpful to be able to edit/delete posts here.

EDIT: Hey, now I can edit - looks like it's only possible after the fifth post. ;)
Thank you! Seems like we posted at the same time.

Yes, I'm left-clicking the field.

My machine is an Intel i7-3930K with an NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti and 32GB RAM.
Blender, MODO, Maya, Houdini and NUKE run just fine with it on Linux, as well as ZBrush on Windows - so it shouldn't be the hardware that's holding things back here. :)

Edited by chrisoffner3d

The user has reported that in 3D-Coat 4.7.11 text fields work.

According to the video the performance decreases because the brush radius is too big (in the video the brush extends to whole screen). Navigate using smaller brush radius or use navigate buttons in the top of the viewport. Under the Windows the behaviour is the same.